Land Rover V8 Stage 1

Just bought myself one of these rare beasts. Leaf springs, V8 engine and full time 4-wheel drive makes for an interesting combination. Anyone know what they're worth? This one's a bit rough, but repairable - the usual Series Land Rover welding to chassis required. The engine wasn't running when I bought it, but replacing the starter motor had that sorted. It fired up nicely, but I ran out of petrol before getting a chance to see if it'd move. My big decision will be whether to get it MOT'd and sell it on or strip it for parts. Some bits - the front propshaft, axles and radiator are unique to the model and apparently sought after, but I've no idea of values so any ideas appreciated.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sounds about right for a v8 Landy.

Reply to
Adrian

My own thoughts too! That's why I won't be keeping it. It does sound marvellous though, and I had to laugh when all the sheep in the neighbouring field ran away when the engine started up!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Willy Eckerslyke wittered on forthwith;

a 109? :-D

I like those.

It's worth anywhere between 750 and 3k.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:evnn7p$9pc$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org, Pete M wittered on forthwith;

with the welding done...

Reply to
Pete M

Did you get that doggy one off eBay?

If it's the one off eBay about half what he was asking. It needed a lot doing to it.

It's a lovely vehicle, I've wanted one for some time. You need to remove the restrictors from the inlet manifold if that has not been done.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's encouraging, thanks, and a fair bit more than I'd assume the parts alone are worth, so I'd best get welding.

I reckon I got a bit of a bargain on this one, just 70 quid off eBay. It's got damned good tyres too.

BTW, they were all 109 inchers, apart from two 88 inch prototypes according to a website I've just been reading.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

S'not _that_ doggy.

Wot, 35 quid? Nah, even the scrap metal value's over a hundred.

It's this one:

I agree it has a certain appeal, but I'm not entirely convinced yet. I also have another 109, but fitted with a Perkins 3.3 litre diesel engine, which makes a lot more sense to me. OK, it'll only do about

50mph, flat out, but has enough torque to push a house down and the sort of invincible feeling that even the V8 would struggle to match.

So I've read. Someone's added a vent in the bonnet, so it's fairly likely that they've been tinkering with other bits too. It was listed as having been used for "forestry" work so I expected it to be completely run into the ground, but I can't see any evidence at all of having had a hard life.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Ah, a different one to the one I was thinking of, which was red and the seller admited that the chassis was badly rotted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I hadn't noticed that one. But then I haven't actually been looking out for one. I only bought this because it was local and too cheap to lose on. Same reason I'll be buying a Triumph Stag for 200 quid tomorrow morning unless someone else has beaten me to it!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

There's a tempting Overfinch 500 just down the road from me, but at present an incredibly original Discovery V8 in showroom condition has caught my eye. That's for sale just around the corner from here and it has a genuine 24k miles on it as well as having all the original Conran design touches intact - even the handbag built into the armrest.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Some original Discoveries made it to 24k?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Third engine, naturally.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you're talking Rover V-8, add a zero to the 24k and you might be on the second.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)