Landcrabs

It looks like I am unlikely to be able to avoid acquiring a 1974 Morris

2200 Landcrab, despite my best attempts to hide from it. It isn't really my sort of car at all, and I have to check a couple of things out.

A: Waterpump. It's an E6, but apparently the pumps are different according to installation on all E-series engines. Where would I get a suitable waterpump; assuming that is what it making the rattly noise and causing it to cook slowly (changing the fluid helped immensely, and it's not the headgasket).

B: Auto transmissions. It seems terribly low geared. Also, the inhibitor is probably stopping it from starting right now.

C: Values. Does anyone want a Morris 2200 Landcrab? It has 11 months MOT and is generally good, though the front wing above the headlight is crunchy. Found a suitable wing for £75. Could probably have it replaced, as the inners are very solid. Despite my sigfile, it's actually in half-decent nick with very little rust, and a nice, generally quiet 45,000 mile engine. If I do end up with it, I'd swap it for an ADO16 in simular condition, or a RWD car like a Victor/Viva...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

My gawd, you're as completely mad as I sometimes think I must be. I am "unable to avoid" acquiring another Conn saxophone almost every single week, and whenever I read this newsgroup you seem to be looking at another car to buy. Blimey. At least I've only got two cars. And all my cars and saxophones are definitely labelled as "my sort" before I buy them!

Most other Kilpatricks seem to be a bit more sensible.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Well, the Morris isn't really a buy, more a 'deal'. I was considering it when I decided to buy the Supra instead. Did you see the other car I was considering? A 1980 Rover SD-1 V8-S with 29,000 miles on the clock...

FWIW, I only have two cars at the moment. The Morris is still at the dealer's yard. If I'd got more for the Sera I'd have that SD-1 like a shot though. Wonder if the bloke sold it...

Richard (I felt guilty about the idea of using it; and being proven right in theory, I did 1,000 miles in the Supra this week; or close to).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Hey, there are several Vitesse twin plenums for sale in the owners' club magazine this quarter. In fact, rather a lot of them. Very odd!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

I used to play an old Conn alto...nice!

Reply to
Stan Barr

I've not had to dally with the water pump on my Wolseley Six (yet!), but I recall from the 1.5 litre E Series engine on my previous Allegro(s) that there were different versions of the water pump that could be distinguished by the depth of the flange on the pulley (i.e. one type was somewhat deeper than the other.)

When I last looked a few years ago, I found both new and reconditioned water pumps of either type for the 1.5 were available from most of my local factors (and maybe even the Rover dealer).

Of course, once you've joined the Landcrab Owners Club, you can make use of the spares service, which I've found very helpful for some of those more difficult to find parts.

Reply to
MAILER-DAEMON

If I was an ADO17 enthusiast, I'd join, but as someone with a mere passing interest I find their website less helpful than many, and I'm not really into ADO17s. I like them, I like the handling and clever suspension, but the Morris' looks just leave me cold.

At least the Wolesley has some visual interest. Shame they didn't make the MG version, and I do like the Australian versions.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick