Leaky petrol tank - cure?

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Howard Rose saying something like:

Read the OP's message - I think the words "seeping slightly at the seam" are the important ones. No mention of it falling apart or generally being decrepit with age. Tanks with seam leakage are *exactly* the ones I've seen treated with this method and they go on for years after that. This method was adopted because of the dangers of welding fuel tanks.

It needs to be done carefully and with attention to detail; in fact, anyone with any fibreglassing experience could do a passable job.

Bodge, my arse. It's a permanent repair, and a bloody good one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If the Jag with a rusty tank is an XJ40, perhaps a good idea to get them to fabricate a stainless bodyshell, at the same time as doing a tank!

Reply to
Rick

Thanks all.... looks as if I'll have to drop the tank, so if I go that far I may as well replace it.

Reply to
Sean

These people might be the answer to your problems.

Anyone tried them?

Ian

myself wrote:

Reply to
Ian Winter

Fuel tanks (unless perhaps they have been under the sea!), always corrode from the inside, and finally after some while this corrosion breaks through to the outer surface of the tank, when obviously leaks ensue!

For this reason cladding a tank in fibreglass is clearly only a temporary measure, until the tank can either be repaired properly (with welding in new metal), or replaced...........unless of course you want to run the very real risk of your fibreglass "repair" failing in service, which would result in major fuel leaks, and possibly very serious consequences for the person who was unable to deal with the problem of a leaking tank correctly!

As I see the "Grimly Curmudgeon" is an admirer of HST, perhaps he has been indulging in similiar types of chemicals to those enjoyed by the good doctor, and this has clouded his better judgement, and allowed him to make such silly posts on this topic.....................lol

Reply to
gaspode

It ain't necessarily so. My tank is mounted under the car and therefore exposed to all the salt and muck off the road. It rusts on the outside.

Reply to
Richard Porter

They never replied to my emails. Shame because I have at least three duff tanks.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

230TE? Buggers for it. I had to swap the tank on my '89 model. Even a used tank cost a lot of money; you don't want to know the Mercedes price!
Reply to
Chris Bolus

I've been away so have only just caught up with this. If you can get to the leaking bit of the tank clean it back to bare metal and butter on some stuff called Chemical Metal (or Leak Fix - same thing) by Plastic Padding. It's a two part thing and it works if you do the preparation right. However if you have to take the tank off, you might just as well replace it.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

I used the tank-renu here in the States about 3 months ago so no long term results but so far so good (as expected this short a time) The result seems quite nice and they do guarantee the tank for as long as you own the car (at least in the U.S. they do). My tank leaked quite a bit in various places and had been fibreglass repaired and also repaired with some goop by the previous owners, tank-renu stripped it, cut it open and welded in new metal then sealed in and out. Kind of expensive but cheaper than having a new gas tank made for a 67 Fiat Dino Spider.

Reply to me here, I am tired of spammers sending me e-mail.

Reply to
Mike

I'd still rather paint it than cover it with a bodgy layer of fibreglass :-P

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Howard Rose saying something like:

It'd only be bodgy if you do it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon