Lucas spares

I need a regulator for the 75 amp alternator on my SD1 - a VDP EFI. My local so called Lucas agent couldn't even find the car listed, let alone the correct alternator.

Any suggestions - either South London(ish) to collect, or mail order?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My local man would probably be able to help.

Ring Paul on 01375 390800 Not local to you, but you could pay me by paypal and I'll send it to you. He is quite into computers so he might well take paypal himself. Mostly he is over the counter, while you wait, cash.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I have various regulators, but at the moment no application info. Do you have a part number for the regulator or alternator?

(your return email address does not work, so had to put this on the group)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

Is it the Lucas type with brushes and regulator mounted externally in one unit on the back of the alternator held on by a couple of small bolts - very easy to remove ---- if so I suspect it is much the same as the Lucas Magnetti-Marelli types used on the earlier Rover 820. The old type K series engined Rover 200/400 (not the 25/45 shape) used a similar unit but with a slightly lower rating 55 or 65 amps I think.

When refittng the unit make very sure the Lucar connections are not arcing -- these high output units really put out too much power for the standard 3 spade Lucar conectors.

Reply to
Ernest Bilko

No - the brushes are entirely separate. And you have to partially dismantle the alternator to remove the regulator - wouldn't attempt it on the car.

It's got a single largish spade connection (5/16ths or so) for the main output fixed to a stud by a nut. There's one 1/4" lucar in parallel with this for the external suppression capacitor, and one 1/4 lucar for the warning light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll take it off the car again at the weekend and get the numbers - although I'm not sure there is one on the regulator.

It's an anti-spam address, but the clue on how to make it real is in the sig...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get in touch with Martin at

- click on the Parts For Older Cars link and use the 01623 number. I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

From the alternator:-

24142B A133-75 348412VI

According to another Lucas dealer, this is not an SD1 alternator, but Jaguar. But then they only had one listed, and Rimmers give two - a bigger one for air conditioned cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)