MG

Hi, Does anyone here or looking in ,have an old 1930s MG. We have trouble with a three brush dynamo, and wonder if anyone can help with the problem.? Pat.

Reply to
Pat

Three brush dynamos weren't unique to MG.

Best to post the problem and pray. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but MG dynamos were (hopefully) unique to MGs. The overhead camshaft is driven by a vertical shaft and bevels. However to complicate matters, this "shaft" is also the dynamo. If the top oil seal leaks, it goes into the brushgear and generally causes the insulation to start failing.

Dad's J2 has been "interesting" for dynamo problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The theory being that the dynamo acted as a damper for the camshaft drive, but in practice the original oil seals rather let it -and the oil - down. Which was why various people used to advertise conversions to more oil tight modern ones.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Yes, I've seen this arrangement. But the actual dynamo workings will be the same as others.

Assuming you can cure the leaks, I'll bet the field coils from other dynamos will fit and the armature could be re-wound.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do, but mine's a '36 SA with a "normal" two brush dynamo. I'm not a clubby type, but you really need the help of a club to run a car like that and the 30 odd quid membership soon pays for itself just for the suppliers and other contacts. I would go for the MG Car Club or MG Octagon Car Club for your car.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

Whilst this is true and good advice, electrical problems are not really make specific and groups such as this may well be able to help. But not without a description of the actual problem. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)