MGA for sale

I remember riding in a car numbered A90. It was the early Westminster, the one with the column change.

Didn't vans have names rather than numbers?

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

An A70 would have been a 4? But did they do vans based on these? On the A50 etc, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The A40 Devon came out in 1949 or thereabouts, followed by the A40 Somerset, my father had one,on which I learned to drive on a private road, approx 14 yrs old at the time. I think the C engine was in the A70 Hereford and of course there was the Austin A90 Atlantic, I'm not sure which engine they had in that. Hasppy days and Crap cars. Don

Reply to
Donwill

According to the price guide in Classic Cars:

A40 Devon 47-52 1200cc A40 Somerset 52-54 1200cc A70 Hereford 48-54 2199cc A90 Atlantic 49-52 2660cc A90/95 54-59 2639cc A99/110 59-68 2912cc

The 2660cc engine was the 4 pot that found its way into the Austin Healey 100/4s with only a twin carb as extra.

The 2639cc engine went into the A/H 100/6s and the 2912cc engine into the 3000s.

Not sure about what constitutes a B or C series lump as my interest in that area was a 1955 A/H 100/4.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

The A70 and Atlantic had four cylinder engines - not the 6 cylinder C series.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

B series Bigger 4 cyl 3 or 4 bearing various capacities think starting at 1200cc or 1300cc up to 2000cc MGB type.

So what did they call the side valve engines of the Morris Oxford?

Rob

Not a B Series.

The four cylinder in the A70 etc is based on the unit from the Austin 16. London taxis used it until the '80s.

The B Series is a smaller unit. The basic engine first appeared on the '40s A40 Devon - 1200 cc. It was enlarged to 1500 cc for the ZA Magnette and used in many other vehicles. Final version was in the MGB/ Austin

1800. At first glance, they look the same. There was once a club racing formula based on the A40 block. Enterprising tuners fitted MGB 3 bearing moving parts and got it out to about 2 litres. The maximum possible with that basic block.

MO? Or was that the model reference?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
"

They, and all the parts of the engines and other bits went under the name MOWOG. I leave it to you to decide whether this is policitally incorrect.

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Yes but what series was that engine?

Reply to
Rob

I think it was a series B wasn't it? Don

Reply to
Donwill

No - the sidevalve unit was a Morris engine. The B Series basically Austin. A development of the A40 Devon unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)