mid to late 1960's car radios

I'm looking for a working positive earth (or switchable) car radio suitable to install in a 1965 english classic.

It came with a working Motorola 124 (Long & Medium wave) which is pretty basic and I'm looking for something a tad better but contemporary with the car.

Someone refered me to the Vintage Wireless Company in Cheshire but they never answer their 'phone or reply to emails !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The trouble with early FM radios - and that would include pretty well all positive earth or switchable types - is that they don't include the interference limiting circuitry that makes FM reception in a car really practical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite a number of 1960s-vintage UK FM radios also only cover the band from about 89 to 101MHz - the police etc. used to be in the bit from 102MHz up to 108MHz and we couldn't have your local friendly robbers sitting outside a bank listening for "suspects on premises" messages on their getaway-car-radio now could we?

Reply to
PJML

Try these people? Not cheap, but then, dont seem that expensive compared to some modern stereos, and within keeping of the car.

No..I have nevr used them, but came accross them whilst trying to get wiring info for an old 6 volt stero

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Neil,

Thanks but Florida is a long way from Kent !!!!

Andrew Mawson Bromley, Kent, UK

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

ah - but it wouldn't be authentic would it. Infact it was swapped by the previous owner and I've swapped it back when I put a new wiring loom in.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

a 6 volt *stereo*? I'd say that was pretty rare. What was it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would if you wanted to fit a modern radio, but perhaps not for a period looking one? So saying, I'd guess the majority of the modernised ones from Vintage Wireless etc are negative earth - or much more costly if positive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not swap the car to negative earth? It's easy and would give you far more choice.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Blaupunkt Koln for a 1957 Oval Beetle

Reply to
Neil

Well I like to keep originality where practical, but there are limits. All my cars are switched to negative earth, and it would take a very close inspection to tell anyway. The Elfs & Mini have also benefited from an alternator conversion, although the A40 retains it for the time being - it's been fitted with a huge battery instead. It has a period (negative earth) stereo, although it's probably ten years younger than the car. The Elf, which is driven more regularly, currently carries a modern stereo. It doesn't look right but does sound good!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Sorry All, I've sort of come in half way through all this........ I hgave a few old cars, the youngest is 30 in Jan, I like to maintain their originality also. I believe there is a company advertising in the "Old car" press that will (for a fee of about £100) convert your original radio to modern innards. Thereby solving several of the probs. usually associated with the change. I'm afraid I don't know the company details but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out. Apologies again if I've covered ground already discussed. :-) I personally would NOT recommend changing to Negative earth. Best of luck. Gee.

Reply to
T.Gee

But then you post upside down and don't trim.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)