Mini Petrol Powered Corvette 'Go-Kart' For Sale (7ft Long) On UK Ebay

Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Somebody's still making pushrod lumps...? FFS!

Reply to
Adrian

Snappo ( snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Tough, it does over here.

There is no such concept as "model year" on a UK registration document - or in the UK generally.

Get over your parochialism.

Reply to
Adrian

That's a nice little pot-kettleism. Got any more like that?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm not the one claiming the entire world conforms to the bureaucracy of one country.

The statement was that there were no "titles" anywhere for '73 Corvettes. There are. Just not in the US.

Reply to
Adrian

Yep. Even GM's top of the line LS7 Corvette motor is a 16 valve pushrod. Mind you, it does crank out 505 hp and 475 ft/lb of torque.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Now that is a nice engine, pushrods or not.

Mmmmm.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

I don't think Snappo was claiming that, either.

No. He didn't say that, either.

Go on, jerk your knee again.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'73, '83, whatever.

As I said. Easy. Any V5 for any 'vette that was first registered between

1/1/83 and 31/12/83. The vast majority of other countries worldwide, if you don't particularly want to use the UK for whatever reason.
Reply to
Adrian

Does it? How does that work then? IIRC when I worked at Vauxhall the model year was related to a batch of changes, not the registration. I can't remember the date the new model year tended to start, but I think it was the end of the summer holiday.

There are plenty of 92 model year cars registered as late as 94. In fact there are usually so many new examples of the outgoing models in stock that you can get the old model for more than a year after the new model is introduced.

Witness the number of '02 Astra G/Bs on 03, 53, and even 04 plates.

Bullshit. The manufacturers have a model year. I know from first hand experience that GM use them and IIRC they are not 01 Jan - 31 Dec.

Patronising wanker.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

I was letting your typo go. He didn't make that claim for '83 Corvettes.

I think you've lost track of who you're quoting and who you're trying to lambaste. I was responding to your response to Snappo. Go back and re-read the dialogue...

Reply to
Dean Dark

Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And where on a V5 would that be found?

Reply to
Adrian

WTF has the V5 got to do with it? If GM didn't make any '83 model year 'vettes then there aren't any. Period.

IF one was registered in the UK in 83 then it'd be an 82 or earlier model on a Y-suffix or A-prefix plate or maybe an early 84 model year (or later) on an A-prefix plate.

As Snappo said: Registration date model year.

Registration date DOES NOT EQUAL model year for the hard of understanding. If you bought a new 'vette in 83 it was the 82 model year car. It is possible that they launched the '84 model before the end of 83 - as I said I can't remember when GM model years start - so there could be an 84 registered in 83.

Because...

REGISTRATION DATE DOES NOT EQUAL MODEL YEAR

And once more to ram it home:-

REGISTRATION DATE DOES NOT EQUAL MODEL YEAR

Reply to
Richard Polhill

But there were Corvettes made in 1983, it's just that they were marketed as 1984 'model year' cars.

That was all I originally claimed, if you look back - ISTR I said something along the lines of 'the C4 ran from 1983 to 1996' which is factually correct.

I don't give a flying f*ck about some Merkin 'model year' s**te.

Reply to
SteveH

Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Simple. The question related to the title claiming a car was an '83 Corvette. The V5 is our equivalent of the "title".

We have no official concept here of the age of a car other than the first registration date.

I think you mean "Full stop".

You continue to miss my point - the V5 would not say it was a 1982 or 1984 car, it would say it was a 1983 car.

THERE IS NO CONCEPT OF MODEL YEAR ON UK "TITLES" (or V5s as we call 'em).

DVLA don't give a flying f*ck what some 'merkin salesmuppet flogged the damn car as twenty years ago.

Reply to
Adrian

Not especially. Not according to Chambers, anyway.

No it wouldn't. It would say date of first registration: dd/mm/1983. This does not imply a 1983 car, just that it was first registered. The VIN or chassis number can be cross referenced with the manufacturer to determine what 'model year' they built and when they built it.

My point being that the 'model year' is wholly a manufacturer's classification so that they can match the right parts and configuration. The difference between 81 and 82 may only be the position of the heater fan switch or it could be a whole new design. The fact is, the manufacturer will decide what makes the new model year which is in no way related to the date of registration except that the designated registration cannot indicate a newer year than the car was built.

No there isn't and no they don't. So you agree your statement "Tough, it does over here." with regard to "Registration date model year" is false then?

The point you appeared to be trying to make, and forgive me if I can't make complete sense of your deranged ramblings, is that because the UK log book does not record a manufacturer's model year as the US title does, then there is no such concept of model year in the UK.

I contend there IS, it's just not recorded by the DVLA on the log book. A 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier is still a 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier whenever it was registered. Vauxhall, if you ask them, will still regard it as a 1994 model year even if you, Adrian, do not believe they exist.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

His point is entirely clear, and no, you don't understand it. Your analysis above is wrong.

The original statement being referred to was about 'title'. That title is the V5. The manufacturer's concept of "Model year" is _completely_ irrelevant to the title.

Ie you're continuing to miss Adrian's point in a rather amusing fashion, whereas I suspect he's known yours even before you began to present it.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is as close to the age of the car as the paperwork gets.

IF that manufacturer happens to use the concept of a Model Year. Which not all do.

Right - and therefore irrelevant to the registration details, which is what I've been saying all along.

(Apart from in the US, where the title DOES state the MY - even when it's irrelevant, because the manufacturer doesn't use it.)

Thank you.

And the original challenge was to find a Corvette TITLE - which we call a V5 - that says it's a 1983. Simple. All Corvettes first registered in

1983 will say they're 1983 cars. They won't say that it's an '82 or an '84 car. Because it isn't outside of some internal specification tracking designation.

The fact that no Corvette V5 says that GM call it an '83MY is irrelevant

- because no V5 will say that any car is whatever MY - no '94 Chavalier V5 will call it a Vectra A or a Cavalier Mk3 - and just as no V5 for a Citroen or Peugeot will give the RP number, which is how PSA track model/part fitment changes (to the production day). The fact that amanufacturer refers to their production changes in a certain arbitrary way is irrelevant outside the US-centric concept of the Model Year.

I couldn't give a flying f*ck if GM called any 'vettes 1983 or 1845 or whatever. They're still overpowered ill-handling barges solely desirable to the chestwig brigade.

Reply to
Adrian

Yup, most main dealers over here have such a system.

What crap. That makes the very broad assumption that manufacturers only ever make and apply subtle changes to the design of their cars (be it internal or external, cosmetic or mechanical) on New Year's Eve. I don't think they do. Therefore there could be several small changes in the one year. It's a crap way of doing things. The only real way is to have a database that's linked to VIN no (and often reg no, though with private plates that can have its problems), in order to find the correct part. Other than that, it's just major model changes (referred to by Mk1/2/3 etc, or by manufacturers' own systems i.e. W126 etc for Merc and E32/34/36 etc etc for BMW).

Have you not got it into your head that we don't call it "model year" because it's too vague. We refer to different models by specific model designators (as I said above) - e.g. BMW 5 series goes E28/E34/E39/E60(?), with possibly one or two before that (google for john burns bmw for a good site with all that stuff on). That, and major facelifts within a model are generally referred to as that.

Because we don't refer to it by year. Get over it.

Most people would call it a facelift Mk3. It's how we do things. We use actual words such as adjectives and known descriptors to describe things.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

When I look on the AutoTrader web site, the majority of the cars advertised have something that looks suspiciously like a year in the title line.

What's that all about, then?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Do you have to work on being this stupid?

The year referred to in Autotrader is the *year of registration*.

It's not the year it was manufactured, or some marketing gimmick 'model year'.

Do you understand now? - or are you going to continue playing the stupidity card?

Reply to
SteveH