Mk3 Mini Wiring

Doesn't look like there's anyone about, and I'll more than likely have the job done by the time there is... But...

Just picked up an E plate Mayfair. Electrics seem very poorly, indicators sometimes need a fuse teaking to work, that sort of thing.

Headlights are being a pain though - They wouldn't go out when I got the car running, so I had a look, and a wire had been scotchlocked between the red (sides) wire on the switch, and a green (preusmably feed) wire on the heated rear screen. Removed it, lights went out. Then apart from once, briefly, stayed out.

Rear demist works fine, everything else seems OK, but can't seem to get the headlights to work... Tried stuffing a wire into the brown (presumably main lights feed) and red sockets on the headlight switch plug, seems to be nothing. So I'm guessing it's fuse related (all are good) or broken wirebad connection somewhere. Not had a Mini for years, anyone any ideas where to start looking? :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Now sorted - Fusebox looks perfectly clean, fuses look perfectly clean... Give them a quick clean anyway, evedrything now works.

Stupid car.

Still, I suppose that's what happens when it's left 2 months over a cold wet winter...

Reply to
Stuffed

Give it a spray of Electrolube contact cleaner - works a treat removing oxide film on contact surfaces

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'll go take a look for some of that next week then :)

Got to wait ages for one of my insurance companies to actually give me a quote before I can drive it (after waiting even longer fort hem to send the paperwork so I can tax it..). Currently trying to dry the inside out before it rots away.. Still it's an MOTd running Mini Mayfair for not alot of cash, so it's worth it :)

I remember in Minis in the past having to get out from time to time to twiddle a fuse int he pouring rain when the wipers would stop.. So much fun..

Reply to
Stuffed