MoT woes

I wonder is anyone else had this problem. I took my car for a prebooked MOT test which had to be cancelled for the sole reason that the make and model couldn't be found on the computer system. This is a car of which around 1,400 have been produced from 1965 to date in four countries. One of them completed the Le Mans 24 hour race and another holds four current UK speed records. But VOSA's computer apparently hasn't heard of it and can't even get the details from the DVLA computer. My car is properly registered and has a new style V5 document.

Oddly enough I recently ad a Mini Jem tested and there was no problem even though it is a much rarer car that hasn't been made since 1976.

Reply to
Richard Porter

I was under the impression that if you take the V5 with you, they will accept that as confirmation of what it is and proceed with the test. I was expecting trouble with mine as it's a relatively low-volume build, but I didn't have any trouble.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Edwards

I had a similar problem when trying to MOT my Westfield. All I had to do was take the V5 to the garage and they used the chassis number as it's printed on the V5.

Reply to
Homer

My MOT tester couldn't find my PI on the VOSA computer on its first MOT after I received the new style V5. He phoned me and asked me to tell him the VIN exactly as it was printed on the V5 and that fixed his problem.

Take the V5 to your MOT tester.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

They had the chassis number from the car, but I didn't have the V5 with me so I've got to go back on Tuesday with it. It was too far to go back for it today. They need to know the date of registration which is completely irrelevant to the roadworthiness of the car.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Couldn't you have asked them to MOT it using the VIN Number? That usually works

Reply to
Tone.

Beware - there is a minimum length for the VIN number. My MOT had to pad mine out with leading zeroes to get it accepted.

Reply to
Malcolm

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Malcolm wittered on forthwith;

17 digits is the standard length.

Tis all rubbish this new MOT thingy. My local "friendly" MOT tester thinks it's great though, he gets to spend twice as much time sitting in his little office while he's waiting for the allotted time for MOT's to elapse..

Reply to
Pete M

I am an MOT tester and I can tell you that the tester you took your car to does not know how to usethe system properly. The crazy thing is you dont have to match the vehicle correctly to the DVLA database, you only need the Registration, Full Vin (which you can take from the car) and the fuel type to register the vehicle for an MOT test. You dont even always need the full Vin, just the last 6 digits is usually sufficient to correctly identify the vehicle. You can then manually enter the vehicle make and model , colour etc and create a new record on the DVLA database. You do need to know the exact date of first registration, but this is recorded on the V5 document. You do not need to take the V5 to the test station, but lazy testers prefer you to because it means they dont have to go hunting for a vin number on the vehicle, even though they are obliged to do so as part of the MOT test.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

No there isn't. If your tester looks at the screen properly he/she will find there is a way of getting it to accept even a 4 figure VIN (or VI number now I'm in full pedant mode). I know because we had the same trouble with my LeaF. After a cup of coffee he noticed the bit that said 'Is the VIN shorter than 17 digits?' or words to that effect. Enter 'Yes' and you're Bob's nephew.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

: They need to know the date of registration which : is completely irrelevant to the roadworthiness of the car.

Except that some aspects of (legal) roadworthiness do depend on date of registration. Seat belts, emissions and so on.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

you do not say what car you have... the information required for MOT is the axle weights of the car for break testing and the emition regulations for it's engine which depends on the engines date. ( I had to take my Davrian to the public weigh bridge to get it weighed before it could be MOT'd )

Jonathan.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

That's worrying. I've already been refused insurance from five companies and recovery from three because they "couldn't find it" - despite being properly registered.

Not had an MOT since I bought my JBA Falcon yet, hope it's smoother than yours.

Reply to
Flash

Richard Porter ( snipped-for-privacy@address.uk.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Your tester's a f****it, and should know how to enter the details on the computer. You might need to do a bit of research - I don't think there's anything too onerous.

What's the car, btw? Sounds interesting...

Reply to
Adrian

They knew the approximate date from the registration (1980). The only emissions requirement is "no visible smoke". It has seat belts, rear fog lights, hazard flashers, reflective plates, etc. whether required or not. Actually in some cases the legal requirements depend on the age of the engine and not the registration of the car.

Reply to
Richard Porter

That wasn't quite all because they did need the date of first registration, but surely that can be obtained from the DVLA computer?

It's a Mini Marcos, so no emissions requirement other than no smoke. The axle weights were mentioned with the Jem but they just treated it as a Mini. In fact I've never seen them alter anything when doing the brake test in the past - they just press the buttons to operate the rollers.

Reply to
Richard Porter

It's a Mini Marcos Mk.IV which I built in 1979-80 using a Mini Cooper 'S' donor. So it's a cheap and cheerful kit car, but the marque does have a bit of history!

Reply to
Richard Porter

Which is precisely why I have to go back with the V5. I knew the month but not the exact date.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Richard Porter ( snipped-for-privacy@address.uk.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Private plate...?

That *used* to be the pre-74 limit. There's now a car-type-specific limit, AIUI.

The weight is also required for brake efficiency calculations.

Reply to
Adrian

Flash ( snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've got a 4x4 2cv insured...