NEC classic

Anyone going to the NEC classic car show this weekend? Going tomorrow and may stay for Saturday too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bah. I was thinking about going and then promptly forgot about it.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Damn - didn't see your post till too late. I went today (only because I'd won tickets in a competition - wouldn't have paid 23 quid otherwise).

Autojumblers are charged so much to have a stall they all seemed to have doubled their prices. I found no autojumble bargains, though it was handy to pick up a few new items to save postage. I saved almost the cost of the NEC car park that way. There were the usual near-identical market stalls, all selling the same tools, and the equally-usual purveyors of quack medicines, tat jewellery, and overpriced food. Booksellers, in particular, seem to take the wossname - haven't they realised people can check prices on abebooks? One book I looked at was priced at £98, even though it's available for about £30 through abebooks from a UK shop, or less than 8 quid, delivered, from the USA.

There was a good range of car clubs and insurers, and some very expensive cars on dealers' displays. I do wish that more clubs would treat occasions like this as opportunities to tell visitors about their club and their cars, rather than chances to chinwag with members of their own inner circle. The Rover P5 club, Octagon Car Club, Vintage Taxi club, and Sprite and Midget Club were very friendly, though. The cloak of invisibility surrounded my considerable frame on the RREC stand, apparently.

Time to build some more garages.

Reply to
Kevin Poole