NOT classic related but rather urgent

My wifes Vauxhall Omega needs a tyre replacing and now shes discovered that shes lost the locking wheelnut key to the alloys. The alloys are the five spoke style (Omega Sport 'Touring' estate) with extremely deep wheelnut holes so there is no way you can get close up to the lock to attack it. The 'face' portion of the lock has three circular holes which the key fits in - the diameter of the lock is *very* close to the internal diameter of the wheel hole so no room to get much in, and is also perfectly circular (so nothing to get purchase on if you slam an old socket onto it). Vauxhall do not have a record of which particular key is supplied to which particular vehicle, and say there are several hundred key permutations so they are unable to try them all even if they DID have one of each at the local dealer. A local garage has looked at the idea of welding a blob onto the lock and then turning that to release it but for reasons unkown has failed at that too. The car is now at Vauxhalls while they consider what to do - at 47 per hour plus VAT. Surely someone losing the key cant be *that* rare? What the hell happens? Any suggestions anyone? TIA

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

That worked for a friend of mine...he welded a nut to it, then used a different sized wrench than normal, and got them out. At least it sounds like yours are possible for that technique. Some have a shroud that prevents welding. Sounds like the welding man didnt have enough current or something. A nut means you can also weld inside the threaded portion, making it stronger.

There is obviously a moral to this story somwhere??....lol, are you sure you have checked everywhere, ie ashtray, glovebox, under spare etc as people leave them in places like this in case they get a puncture on the roadside.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

The cars been stripped bare looking for it - Ive evenhad the carpets out ;o(

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

Check all you documentation, if these are vauxhall locks you should have a card with the code on it, you can order a new key via the dealer.

Failing that you have to get a device that screws onto the wheel stud/nut with a reverse thread that has a bolt on the face of it, a skilled mechanic can wind it on and then undo the bolt, trashes your locking wheel stud/nut but its not much use anyway. Failing that you've got to drill it out without trashing the hub.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Any reason it can't be drilled and use a screw/stud extractor set?

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

Tried a centre punch and a hammer? and knocked the stud around.

Reply to
ops

I would suggest the first thing you do is get the car away from the Vauxhall main dealers. Its quite likely that a good tyre fitter will have a key. There actually arent that many adapters and Omegas are dead common and the wheel is also used on Calibras and Vectras too I suspect. Failing that then make a cast of the key profile with plasticene from the top of the nut and fine a local engineering shop to make you one up. Fifty quid tops. There are at least two in walking distance of my house in west london...

Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

What a cracking idea! thanks for that - will try it today and update here

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

Happened to me too once so I made a rough cast with plasticene and machined up a tool in the workshop. However most people don't have my sort of machinery. Tyre fitters and general garages usually have boxes of those sorts of key knocking around and usually something fits even if it needs a bit of hammering on. I bet a main dealer could actually do it pretty fast but they'll tell you it's a huge problem and charge an arm and a leg.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

"How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

Reply to
Dave Baker

Make one. Ten minutes work for any small shop with a lathe. Use plasticine to impression it and standard taper pins to make the "keys"

OTOH, if you do air-wrench these nuts tight, then even the real key won't remove them without itself breaking. Best way to get them off is to drill carefully down on two opposite sides parallel to the stud, then use a chisel to split the nut. If they weren't down a tunnel in the wheel, then just a hydraulic splitter from the side is easier.

Reply to
Andy Dingley