Older Jag

After years of earache from SWMBO about my more,,, ah,,, 'agricultural' tastes in classics Ive finally relented and promised her an oldish Jag. Trouble is I only have a max of two grand for this enterprise otherwise one of the other motors will have to go. Theres LOADS of the buggers in the Autotrader from F platers up to as far as an L plate, 2.9s to 4.0s, lots of nice toys like heated electric leather, trip computer, etc. Anyone have any tips as to what to look for with the extremely limited budget, and BTW what mileage would I get out of the 4.0 (those sovereigns look ruddy nice :o)

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

Better to go for a real XJ6 or an XJS than an XJ40 -- square head lamp Jag XJs are truely at the banger end of the spectrum nobody wants them a trip to your local car auction will turn up at least one.

Reply to
AWM

How about if I fit round headlamps to it? ;o) No seriously, why is that? The few Ive seen dont look particularly rotten - in fact quite the opposite, the tin worm is noticeable only by his absence. I havent seen any smokers either despite mileages up to 130.000. Aesthetically I cant say as theyre particularly appealing but Ive seen (and owned!) worse. Trim levels are certainly desirable. So what is it about them that marks them as being Essex Arena fodder?

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

pork'n'stuffing waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Rot, power steering pumps, shocks goin dodgy, insane trip computers, unreliable aircon, diffs, brake discs, auto boxes, head gaskets, headlining heading for lining your head etc etc.. Nice ones ARE nice though.

Pete M

p.s. I'd quite like a nice 4.2 Series 3 though...

Reply to
Pete M

Add another 3-4k to it.

If you mean mpg, then normal use is around 25-27, if you feather the throttle you could get as much as 32 mpg which is what I achieved during the fuel strike. However driving a Jaguar as if it were a a Moggie Minor is rather tedious.

If you mean how many miles camn you get on the clock before th eengine goes, then the 4 litre is good for 250-300,000 provided you don't thrash it and you service it properly.

They are, only the Daimler has more toys, but I don't like Daimler interiors. The picnic tables built into the seat backs are nice, but Daimler carpet is yuck. Try looking for a car with a good Wilton carpet and with the lambswool overrugs. The rest is just detail. Try to get a post 1992 car if you can, they were the best built.

Best of that era is IMO the V12 in Solent Blue, all the toys and the

6.0V12 is a stunnign engine. Bit expensive to service though - three boxes of spark plugs for a start. Also it's around 17-21mpg.
Reply to
Steve Firth

It can be done, or if you buy a V12 or 3.2 it will come with round headlamps. Avoid the 2.9 engine in any XJ6 for they are poo.

AWM is talking rot anyway, the SIII rots faster than the XJ40 largely because the design has many, many rust traps.

Snobbery of a misplaced kind from people who consider the SIII to be the last real Jaguar. The XJ40 revived sales over the dismal sales record of the SIII which was fine in concept but utterly s**te in execution. Despite the fans getting all dewey eyed over the SIII, it was a British Leyland car from stem to stern with all that implies. The XJ40 was where Jpohn Egan started to dig Jaguar out from under and it was a substantially better car. Diehards hate the electronic dash fitted to the early XJ40s. OTOH if you drive abroad at all the ability to flick a switch and change to km/h display is really neat. On the bad side the XJ40 electronics are not reliable and some work is almost always required. But because of that there are several places that do exchange units, particularly for the notoriously unreliable headlamp electronic modules.

As I said in another post get a post 1992 XJ40 and you'll get the best of the lot. Most of the irritating stuff was sorted out by then and they are decent reliable cars.

Reply to
Steve Firth

;o) Not a chance in hell - that would mean waving goodbye to one of the Moggies...

....and talking of Moggies ;o)

Thank you Steve for that advice. I'll certainly look in hte group you suggested

Reply to
pork'n'stuffing

In a word that's total bollocks and I speak as an owner of both. The only thing the 40 scores on over the s3 is fuel enonomy. The AJ6 engine is a lot more pwerful and efficient then the geriatric XK. In all other respects the S3 is a far nicer car in looks, handling, ride, interior and build quality. They are sadly just all a good bit older unles you get a late V12. If you have a budget of up to 2 g there are some nice s3's to be had. There are also some right dogs too. Howver if you know what to look for S3's are actually bad liars and tarted up ones are soon exposed. Heres what to look for....

  1. All 4 screen corners. It costs a grand to put this right. Evidence of shoddy repairs equals walk away.
  2. Sagging head lining...."They all do that sir" No they dont. Its been left outside all its life and the screen seals leak so the carpets will be damp...or at least they will get so in winter ...walk away again. No rist in the fllor is a good sign.
  3. Cill ends and rear arches. Some good quality repairs work here is tolerable but give it a good poke about underneath.
  4. Axle noises and clonks. You dont want any.
  5. Should steer and handle like the best cars you've ever driven. If it doenst then budget for suspension work at least a ton a corner, Negotiate accordingly.
  6. Air con...never just needs a regas. If its fitted it should work or again walk away or negotiate.
  7. Manual boxes...nobody wants them and they are crap anyway so walk away.
  8. engine...good oil pressure, no rear smoke and no rattling chains or water pump.. Engine life on a well serviced XK ia about 150 k.
  9. History and proveneance have a profound effect on the resale value. If you dont keep it up dont expect to get so much back.
10 Post 83 -86 cars are fine. Even earlier ones are sometimes okay. I once saw a lovely T plater and that must have been one of the very first S3's.
  1. Try and buy a Sovereign or Daimler if you can. Avoid 3.4's and cloth interiors. I also avoid sun roofs too. With air con you donts need more leaks and less head room.
12 Brakes...front peddle wobble is only warped disks. Cheap and no worries. rears are a git but doable...disk condition at the back is more important..

If U must have a 40 only buy a post 90 one and again good history and rotten corners of boot and bonnet should be avoided. You;ll never love it though like you will an S3. Look at lotd and buy the best body you find. Good luck. Or you could pay me to find you one...:-) Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson