Paint inside an engine sump?

I've just cleaned years of muck out of the inside of a Rover V8 sump - and stripped the black paint off most of it in the process. Now, do I leave it as bare steel and risk some rust until oil has coated it again, or do I paint it and risk the heat and oils dislodging paint flakes and potentially clogging the oilways when the engine reaches working temperature? Logically I suppose I should leave it bare; it just goes against the grain to leave shiny bare steel exposed. Steve

Reply to
Steve Musgrave

potentially

Whatever you do. Do not paint it. Given time any paint will inevitably flake off and cause trouble. If you're that worried, give the inside a light wipe over with grease before assy. Otherwise leave it bare. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

Wipe the inside with _vaseline_, not grease. Or else a proper assembly/storage grease, but not just the workshop tub of bearing grease..

Grease contains soaps (they're what turn it from oil to grease). These will dissolve in the oil and can cause problems with froth and sludge buildup in the rocker boxes, especially on an engine like the Rover V8 where rocker box drainage is marginal to begin with.

You'll have the vaseline out anyway, to prime the oil pump.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm sure a non visible film, would not be enough to cause any problem with the oil. But you're right, Vaseline would be better. Personally I'd leave it bare. I've never had the inside of a sump go rusty after reassembly and filling. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

hmmm, dunno, s'pose it might depend on how often you're gonna use the car. If you use it everyday the oil will splash about but if it's gonna be stood for weeks at a time then maybe the oil will drain down leaving the metal exposed? I got a freebie catalogue with one of the classic mags from Frost Auto Repair Techniques and they have paint for the inside of engines, if I could find it I'd tell you their addy and 'phone number. Never used it but it may be what you're after.

pottsy

Reply to
robert grant

I don't think that is paint its a builtup of stuff (varnish like) and is a natural occurance in any engine.

Just clean the sump and put it back together.

Reply to
Rob

Why not a good wipe with engine oil before assembly ?

Reply to
Mark W