Practical classic for a newbie

Doesn't seem to be my experience of the PI owners I know. Most are quite happy to adapt their cars with more reliable Bosch pumps, plus other mods beyond my understanding of the system. Originality certainly isn't the usual reason for retaining the PI, performance is more often the driving force, Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

I have not had that experience with my PI. It has toured Cornwall a few times and taken me on numerous 200 mile round trips to visit relatives, without the need for invective. In fact until I read your post, it has never occurred to me that when I start out, I might not arrive.

However, I was told by the person I bought the car from (a mechanc) that what kills a PI system is redlining it, which would be very easy to do in the lower gears. He fitted a rotor arm with governor to the dizzy, and I have left it there. So my engine doesn't do more than 4000rpm. Apart from a dodgy plug lead, cured by a new set of leads, it has been as good as gold.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I believe they came in 3 rail and single rail forms depending on their age.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

In news:FtJLc.5333$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Jim Warren decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

That's good news. I suspect Bob (my neighbour) may have wasted more time trying to get it perfect than he should have. With being a Lucas engineer there's a good chance half his problems were self inflicted, and your point about high revs could be applicable too..

So, what's a nice *running* 2.5 Pi worth then?

Reply to
Pete M

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

There was mention of some folk retrofitting the Bosch K-jetronic from the Mk2 Granny.

That was a reasonably reliable injection system; not perfect, but far superior to the original Lucarse rubbish.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

PC reckon all 2500s are worth the same, so £1500.

Reply to
SteveH