Princess (wedge) available?

I'm considering, if it's possible to find one, getting a Austin (or Leyland, I think to be more accurate) Princess for my wife. A 2000HL or

2000HLS Princess 2, which I think means circa 1978-1981.

I've seen that there are one or two still about in good shape but they must be pretty rare now. Anybody seen one? I had one (HCA 100T) when I was a student in 1992, and loved it. Mind you, that was a long time ago now.

regards

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Take those rose tinted glasses off and look at them for what they were. I doubt she'd appreciate something that butt ugly.

Reply to
Conor

If she thought they were ugly she wouldn't be considering driving one! Why assume I'd buy her a car she'd never seen at all?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Nothing to do with me but

Alan...

Reply to
Phaeton

Or

Alan...

Reply to
Phaeton

Sod that, when there's this:

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nice......

SteveH

This one seemed to replay an incident I actually had, when driving a Triumph Toledo.

Hmm I recognise that bloke, he was at the educational establishment further North on Oxford Road.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wow! Only 5000 miles?

Are they any fun to drive, those things?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Hmm, only in a sort of "my god glaciers move faster than this" sort of way. Rear wheel drive with all the fun taken out. I'd like to own that one, but it would be a sin to use it much and I'd have to do something about the swallows that have decided to move into my barn/garage.

I had one for several years and loved it at the time. Sadly the engine is fairly fragile.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Haven't watched that, but that reminds me that I spun my second Princess on the Snake Pass. Ended up on the wrong side facing the other way but did little but dent the front nearside wing around the wheel arch, luckily.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

which would be the perfect excuse to drop a Rover V8 into it.

Reply to
Pete M

It's not unknown.

Reply to
Conor

No, they're s**te. THey also look cut off at the back. Get a Dolomite..virtually the same looking, RWD and the arse end is longer so it all looks in proportion.

Reply to
Conor

Conor (Conor ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Odd, isn't it? The short tail was the original FWD 1300 style - the longer tail (and nose) of the Dolly didn't come until the later FWD 1500.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, probably less harmful than someone buying an unwanted dog as a Christmas present, or that sort of thing.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Is it the large crank (GK) Herald engine?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

They're hardly in the same class. The Princess is vast inside and a good motorway cruiser. The Toledo is small and, err, slow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had an 1800 (Land Crab) for many years and it was probably one of the safest handling cars I've ever owned - before stability control etc came in. It simply went from slight to massive understeer depending on how you drove it. Never once lost the back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think so but enlarged to 1300cc. Like the Herald engine it had a habit of throwing a con. rod through the side of the engine.

Reply to
Steve Firth