Q fuel price

Jim Warren gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

As ever, it's just plain "not that easy"...

Adrian

Wikipedia...the ultimate in a reliable source of information..

Reply to
Conor

I did elude to that above, real gallon.

Its the British tax system that altered the volume of the British gallon as they could not reduce the tax, what they did was increase the volume.

The US retained the original size of the gallon, which came from the British system.

Reply to
Rob.

Nup!

Reply to
Rob.

With my 12 gallon tank I do about 30 miles per gallon according to my speedo - gets awkward using them litres. :)

Reply to
Rob.

Happened in 1824 in which the British went metric with their gallon which weighed in at 10 pounds.

The Winchester gallon, was 282 cu in and used to measure ale. And the Wine gallon which measured 231 cu inches which teh US kept.

Reply to
Rob.

When you look through that sure does complicate things. Its like trying to justify, written by a University Professor in the world of words.

Although its written in Wiki, there is more history, as to why they changed the standard.

Its to do with this bit " Although the wine gallon had been used for centuries for import duty purposes there was no legal standard of it in the Exchequer and a smaller gallon (224 cu in) was actually in use, so this statute became necessary." They didn't/couldn't reduce the tax on the measure and the King at the time was instrumental in having the volume altered to the imperial standard.

Reply to
Rob.

We have to express fuel economy in "Litres/hundred km". Most folks convert back to the old MPG (Imperial) in Canada. Looks 20% better than US! We can brag that our petrol is better than theirs (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Stuart H. Alberta, Canada

Reply to
Stuart H.

The date being 30 Apr 2008, Adrian decided to write:

I know I should work it out in litres per 100km, but I usually work on

8 miles per litre, up to about 10 on long steady journeys.
Reply to
Richard Porter

The date being 30 Apr 2008, "Rob." decided to write:

That may be decimal, but it's not metric!

Reply to
Richard Porter

The date being 30 Apr 2008, "Rob." decided to write:

That sounds like a typical British government fudge!

Reply to
Richard Porter

five or six miles per liter. If I feel too depressed I multiply by 5 (or 4.54 if I feel enthusiastic) to get MPG

Reply to
Dan Smithers

I'm getting about 10 leagues per firkin at the moment....

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Thats not real good. What can you do to improve it?

Reply to
Rob.

Stop driving pissed?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Bloody hell, my 4.6 does 41.7108596 leagues per firkin, in town.

You have problems.

Reply to
Pete M

Rob

Mind if I add that to my random signature collection?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Cole