Question on Jags

*******************************

I am not knowledgeable on car audio systems at all.

I have a few questions:

  1. What has a greater impact on the sound quality of a car audio system ? Is it the speakers or the sound unit ie CD changer/player/radio ?

  1. I have a Lexus which has a Nakamichi sound sytem. It sounds fabulous. When I test drove a XJ8 2005 Jag, the car guy said it had an Alpine sound system giving me the impression that it was a premium sound system. However, I did not care for it. So I am confused.

My 15 year old son says if I want better sound, all I have to do is to upgrade the speakers. Is that true ? He says it is very easy to install better quality speakers on a Jag. Again is this true ?

I thought the CD changer made a greater impact on the sound quality. My son claims the speakers make all the difference.

  1. What are the standard and premium sound systems in 2004 / 2005 Jags ? ( specifically XJ8)

Thanks for your help in advance,

Irfan Ballard

California

Reply to
irfanballard

Largely it's the speakers. They cost most to get right and it's an area where makers often skimp.

Does it have Nakamichi speakers? If it does, I respectfully suggest that you have a problem with your lugs. Nakamichi make wonderful components, with the exception of speakers.

Alpine make "premium" and MoR systems. Jaguar fitted Alpine systems re-badged as Jaguar to most of their cars for many years. I forget which years. The Lexus Mark Levinson system is supposed to be slightly better than the Alpine in the XJR but "slightly" is the operative term.

It would have the biggest effect.

I suspect your 15 yo son knows very little about Jaguars. It's about as easy as it is to change the speakers on any vehicle. "Easy" isn't a word that I would use, "possible" is more like it.

No.

He's right there. But all of the components in the chain need to be good.

Alpine and Harman Kardon. The HK used to be the system fitted to top of the range Jaguars then Alpine created a 12 speaker 320W RMS system specifically for the XJR that has an excellent reputation. I would not start mucking about with it myself, since to my ears there's nothing wrong with it.

See this URL for someone else's opinion:

Steve Firth

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A cheap shit head unit will sound cheap shit. Once you get away from there, the difference - especially with background noise as in a car - will be minimal. Speakers, otoh, will make a noticable difference, although - again - the biggest difference will be in moving from cheap shit to decent quality.

I suspect that the Jag isn't a _bad_ sounding system, just different to what you're used to.

Probably not massive improvements - Jag won't be installing cheap shit.

Probably different this side of the pond.

Reply to
Adrian

The Alpine system was engineered specifically for the Jaguar and has very good reviews. Mind you I still think that the older HK was slightly better for rock than the Alpine. I have the feeling that the Alpine is probably better, more neutral and it sounds great for classical music.

Reply to
Steve Firth

From my experience, the HK system in Jags isn't anywhere near as good as the HK system in P38 Rangies. The Alpine system seems to have more bass and more top end, but seems a bit 'muddier for vocals. Don't know why.

The Alpine system in my Volvo is splendidly clear but has crap tone controls. Slightest touch and it's either bass hell or wayyy too 'bright'. Luckily it sounds fine left 'flat'.

Reply to
Pete M