Quick Classic for under a grand.

JackH ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, well, there's your problem.

If you're going to suffer Citroens, you've got to do it *properly*.

There's a simple rule of thumb when it comes to Citroens....

If it isn't hydraulically suspended or aircooled, it isn't worth having.

Reply to
Adrian

Stuff the lot and get a Nissan 200SX turbo S13 fastback 89-94. Sleek and low and PDQ. But er.. group 17! Sub 7.5 sec 0-60mph - about 1 sec faster than all the 2.5/3.0 V6 FWD trash so many car makers offer now.

Made from 1989-1998 (ten year run!) in Japan so still reasonably current for spares. Foreign Autoparts in Burton on Trent get stuff for me next day.

Watch for rust on rear of sills and tailgate. Made from zinc plate so all cut edges tend to rust.

Peter Hill

LOL.

Amen to that... I'd like a DS, but can't face all that heart and wallet wrenching...

To be fair, the ZX was ok really as mundane everyday transport... I just get fed up when as an example, if my mechanic goes to change the pads on something, the motor factors have to send him four different packs to make sure he's got the right ones!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

JackH ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

CX. You *know* it makes sense. Less than a grand for a perfectly decent 170bhp CX Turbo is not unknown.

I've never figured this out. People go "Ah, Citroen, what do you expect?" about things like this on ZXs - it's all *EXACTLY* the same as 306. So exactly the same story would apply to 306s.

And does....

But do they go "Ah, Peugeot...."? No. Why not?

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, but it's not *that* shape, is it.

And with the 309 before it, which I've also had, and also had the same problems with.

Well I do, and "Ah, Renault...", hence why I've no longer got either!

-- JackH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

JackH waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

I'd love a cheap Citroen CX Turbo, but I've not seen one advertised for years. Not at sensible money anyway.

besides, I'm on an Alfa 75 mission.

Reply to
Pete M

Well, you missed out on the pair (TS and V6) going for what was frankly silly money on Ebay (under £500 when I looked this morning).

All that's left now is a tidy-looking 2.5V6 Auto for about £400 with 2 days left.

Reply to
SteveH

Telegraph had an article about a Swiss millionaire who has died leaving a huge collection of cars to be sold at auction in London. One that caught my eye was an Athena for sale, expected to make no more than £2400.

I've always wanted one of those, but the garage is bulging with cars, as is the drive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

SteveH waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

the pair went for £950 in the end, I've just looked. I'd have bidded, but to be honest I'm on a mission to scrape everything together to get Timo's one, if he's still got it. I was in London yesterday, but couldn't get from Wimbledon to Timo's and back in the time I needed to. :( Bought an A-Z of London an everything.

Reply to
Pete M

Ouch.... that's verging on expensive at £900.....

Timo's looks the business, I'd have been tempted myself, but I like my TS, even if it is white ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Oi, nothing wrong with ZXs. Except maybe the 1.4 reflex...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I was offered a nice black one last year for £600. There was a reason why I didn't get it, and I suspect it was Volvo 480 shaped. Should have gone for the CX.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Because Peugeot make solid, reliable cars.

(I'm sorry. Did I forget sarcasm tags? I'm sticking to Citroens for fun, but I think my next new car will be Japanese, if I have another new one. I'm torn between keeping the 306, because I have had it for four years and I do know the history, or being positively relieved when it goes back. At least Citroen dealers are polite when bits fall off your car).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

If you'd said "made" you could have skipped the tags, but things went downhill after the 304 and 504, in me 'umble. 60s and early 70s Peugeots weren't half bad, though they ruseted to the extent that you don't see a lot any more. I always rather liked the 204.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

204 was a bit of a noody-car IMHO.

The 504 was OK, I preferred the 505, specially the 2.2-litre turbo version! Then there was the 604 - ah, a proper V6 for a change! Shame they never really caught on - with sane marketing they could have been as much of a success as the Granada was in the 70s and 80s.

Reply to
PJML

I rather liked it. Funny looking thing, but it drove much more nicely than I ever expected and rode well. Trouble was, the one I was looking at had a real tinworm attack, and even though I'd been driving it on & off for a while I eventually resisted the urge to be really stupid.

I've been told - and it fits with some experiences - that the build quality was heading downwards by the time of the 505 (and the 305, another nice car). Shame the V6 504 coupe never made it over here.

Big Peugeot = plummeting price, even more than big Fords (though less than big Renaults - when did you last see a R30?). Saw an apparently decent 605 V6, about 4 years old, for sale the other day here - 650 UKP. The 604, nice big barge that it was, went that way very fast. It's an age since I saw one.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Hmm, wonder if I could get a 505 V6 for £500-600.....

Reply to
Pete M

I saw two Renault 20s, last Sunday.

Being used for Bangerstox racing in Belgium... an appropriate end to such an old barge.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

...and the multitude of different parts they used to do the same job, even on the same models, in the same model year.

Oh, and the self retracting parcel shelf strings that don't.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

you could get a good 404 for under a grand, last of the great peugeots ... (after 402 Darlmat..

Reply to
Eu Gra