Re: A couple of Rootes questions

Hi all,

>In a range of Rootes cars consisting of Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam and >Singer, what markets would each car have been aimed at? ISTR that a >Hillman was the basic, family model, the Sunbeam the sportier one and the >Humber the posh one. Where does that leave the Singer or have I got it all >wrong? >And what was made (if anything) at Rootes in Maidstone? The building there >seems far too big just to be a dealership and it seems a little odd (or >coincidental) to have a dealer with the same name as the brand.

Rootes Maidstone used to make truck bodies, afaik.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

sPoNiX

MeatballTurbo ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As the ex-owner of a '75 wImp, can you please give him some abuse from me?

Reply to
Adrian

Correct (as ever). Barlby Road, I went there to collect a new radiator for a crashed Tiger (it wouldn't go in - another story).

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

A story circulating at the time was that the pre-production models actually handled rather well, but it was discovered that the headlamps were lower than the Construction and Use regs required. So they simply jacked up the front end, which obeyed the law but ruined the handling (shades of later MGBs). Don't know if this is true - over to the NG.

I think another problem was the lack of development potential of the engine. While the venerable A Series engine in its direct competitor grew from 848 to 1300 over the years, there simply wasn't enough meat or room in the Imp block to take it any further than - what was it? about 875?

A great shame. While quite different in character to the Mini it had some excellent points. Ruined, as other have said, by poor development, poor build quality, incompetent management and resentful workforce.

It was a bad time for British manufacturing. Just as an aside (don't I always) in the immediate pre and post war years Britain had a thriving light aircraft industry. The Government appointed two Ministers to review it. They were John Stonehouse (who did a Reggie Perrin) and Tony Benn. We now buy Cessnas and Pipers from the USA, Robins from France and so on. I understand we are pretty good at making paper darts.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

The original A Series in the Austin A30 was 803cc

But it was enlarged as the requirement for more power became apparent with newer models. The Imp engine was adequate from the start.

But didn't Chrysler produce a larger version?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Apart from the fact that the Imp was a superb little car, and now getting the recognition it always deserved.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

The Imp engine in my Clan Crusader is 998cc, and a conservative 75BHP. You can go up to 1040cc with the original crank. Above that you have to go to expensive long-throw (longer than the standard 65mm anyway!) cranks.

I think about 1200cc is the absolute max, but competition versions of these can reach 140BHP. You need to replace the head gasket with a Wills-ringed head though.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

The same lump was used in the base model Talbot Sunbeam at 998cc afair. In that application it was quite reliable, showing that the original idea was sound enough, just too prone to bad maintenance.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Nope, the Sunbeam used a 930cc version. (same stroke as the 875, just a larger bore). The 998cc big-bore version is still the best but pistons and rings are getting expensive.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

The original was loosly based on the wartime Coventry Climax fire pump engine which was designed for high output at low weight - probably without much regard to cost. So should be sound enough. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it was bad design, there was no way the radiator could get enough air flow through it - resulting in blown head gaskets and damaged head, block or both. The Talbot Sunbeam had the radiator in the correct place and thus the over heating problems that the Imp was prone to vanished...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Morriss saying something like:

I recall CCC or some rag did a featurette on an inspired lunatic who'd built a sub-2 litre V8 from two of the Talbot engines.

Lovely piece of work; if only the factory had made some.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The air flow over the radiator varied with road speed. If you travelled at

76-78 mph, the temperature gauge shot up, and if you didn't do anything about it, it boiled. Speeding up or slowing down restored cooling.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

One of the supposed advantages of the transverse engine in the Mini is the gyroscopic effect countering roll when cornering but ISTR reading years ago that as originally designed the engine pointed in the opposite direction. If the direction of rotation of the engine was not reversed as well that surely would have meant that the gyroscopic effect would have accentuated roll when cornering but then would that have been at all important given Issigonis' desire to design a motorised shopping trolley rather than a normal car.

Reply to
Roger

It was designed with a transfer engine to save space - nothing else. The reason the engine was turned round was the carburettor at the front suffered from icing problems. So they swapped that for distributor ones. ;-)

I've still not had it explained why they didn't just change the rotation direction of the engine after being forced to turn it round. Would have saved those noisy transfer gears. You'd have needed a different dizzy and oil pump, but can't really think of much else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bl***y spool cheekers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but there was nothing new about the Imp, it had all been done before...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::
[ re Mini engine ]

That would in effect mean a new engine, remember that blocks are designed to accommodate the thrust forces from the power stroke and as such the block would have needed to be re-worked, also the camshaft (lobe timing) would have had to be altered.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Wouldn't the timing chain adjuster need to be moved to the slack side? The starter motor would need to be reversed, along with the bendix thread.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren