Re: Caught Speeding Delivering Transplant Organs

Remember the poor ambulance driver who is being taken to court for speeding

> whilst delivering organs for transplant? Well if you'd care to show your > support, you can do by following the link below. > >
> > Apologies if this one's been done already. > > Ttfn > > Nigel >

Absolutely not. I think it is disgraceful that a high-profile and supposedly responsible organisation such as the GMB should take this stance.

It is encumbent upon all drivers, including those in the emergency services, to drive with courtesy, respect and above all safety in mind at all times.

No emergency is grave enough to justify an accident, and we should be thankful that the authorities have taken this so seriously, lest many more organs are made available for donation by those ostensibly saving others.

I would have hoped the GMB would have a better use for its members' donations, like giving support to the Labour Party. Oh, hang on a minute............

TFP

Reply to
TFP

What accident?

I'll bet you change your tune when it's you waiting on a new liver.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh come down from the high horse for a minute...

The facts: ambulance drivers can exceed the speed limit. The issue here is that the prosecuting authority (the CPS I think) has deemed this vehicle as a non-ambulance because it's a car. However, if memory serves, it was fully liveried as an emergency vehicle. Also, the organs were on their way to an impending operation - time being of the essence.

As clearly described at the time, the driver exceeded the limit on roads capable of taking it, and in traffic situations that were sensible - not in the town, or through villages etc.

Bottom line: if this were a fully-fledged ambulance transporting the organs, the CPS hasn't got a case in law. They're using a loophole to pursue this. Some jobsworth bureaucrat has decided to make a lesson of this man for God knows what reason.

...and I'm sure he did.

Let's make a lesson of the countless joyriders out there, instead of someone pursuing a mercy mission. Where does this end? Telling the Fire Service to stick to 30mph on a shout? They don't, they shouldn't and they're absolutely right in exceeding the limit - the very experienced driver being the one who decides. Not some pen-pushing prick after-the-fact.

-- Ken Davidson

snipped-for-privacy@removehotmail.com remove remove to email

Reply to
DocDelete