Re: Chevrolet Volt Concept

The Chevy Volt concept, shown at the Detroit show, is a car designed

> to be a plug-in hybrid from the start. The Volt is based on a roughly > Cobalt-size platform and is said to weigh 3200 pounds, while a 160-hp > electric motor drives the front wheels. That motor is powered by a 400- > pound, 16-killowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack (same kind of > batteries used in laptop computers). GM says this massive battery, > which stores as much energy as 12 Prius hybrids, can propel the Volt > for up to 40 miles. > pictures and more article here >

Like a laptop, eh? So, let's see..... 40 miles first charge, 35 next, 30 next, then before you know it you have to plug it in every time you want to use it and trail a power lead around with you...... and when you complain you will be told "the battery is a wear-and tear consumable part and not covered under warranty"! I'll stick to petrol, thanks. ;-) Badger

Reply to
Badger

It's also interesting that these concepts rely on the difference in fuel costs which are brought about by taxation. Which can be changed overnight.

For domestic energy - where taxation doesn't really apply - electricity is a more expensive form of energy than oil. Of course it depends on how that electricity is generated - but the US gets its majority from fossil fuels same as the UK.

Tax electricity in the same way as other 'road' fuels and the idea of storing it in an inefficient expensive battery becomes a joke.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)