Re: How do I store tires/tyres for a very long time???

Anyway, what are these 'fantastic' tyres that you speak of? Is it not

> possible that by the time you come to use them that there will be better > tyres available? Time doesn't stand still you know. >

No, time does not stand still, and that is a problem. It is not at all easy to find a source of 185SR13 tyres for a PI (still on its original wheels) at the moment. In the future it is likely to be even more difficult. Not everyone wants to replace original wheels with alloys to take the modern lower profile tyres.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I believe pure soap is a rubber preservative, so maybe painting them with a mixture of soap and water, sealing them in polythene and storing them on their side will keep them soft and flexible. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

How about rubber adhesive?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Sad but true. Last year I could not get 10" mini tyres from stock at most of the local outlets.

Lower profile = more bumps, which older suspension is not designed to take.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

"Malc" wrote

Wouldn't that reverse the polarity of the neutron flow?

Reply to
The Blue Max

D'oh. Of course it would, you need the special hypermodulated sort to prevent that.

Reply to
Malc

I did know the answer, but that is a useful site.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Usually they corroded away quite quickly. Which made it all the more surprising when I investigated the lump in the back of my Elf seat (two years ago) and a complete, rusty but recognisable 70s Ray-o-vac battery dropped out!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Nah, 225/60R390 is right.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Whats the scale that comes off rubber products like a wax do you think that is just a release agent or a preservative.

rm

Reply to
me

The two enemies of tyres, on and off a vehicle, are heat and light. So store them in the dark and keep them cool. i.e. Put in a black plasic bag and store in a cold area of the garage. Peter C.

Reply to
cornelp

As Peter says.. In a cool dark place. On end as they are on a car, and rotate them a little every couple of weeks.

Reply to
Greg