Rechroming

Looking for a recommendation for a good rechroming firm, distance no object.

Back in the sixties, when my car was born, quality control was at an all-time low. But even so, the shiny bits lasted for at least ten years before they started pimpling. Lasted long after the body had fallen apart.

Over the years I have had quite a few bits rechromed. In every case they looked superb on arrival - but never lasted. A year or so at best.

Current situation - all my chrome, replated five years ago, is in a mess - always treated carefully, washed and waxed, no abrasives but even so is now resembling a teenager with acne.

There was a pretty good article in Classic and Sportscar (or might have been Octane) recently about how rechroming should be done, with a list of people who do it. But.... does anyone on this NG have any personal experience? Ideally, a job done some ten years ago which is still in good nick.

Bit like looking for a reliable builder or plumber, I think, but I'm sure the assembled wisdom of this NG will point me in the right direction!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Geoff Mackenzie ( snipped-for-privacy@chapterfive.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

... which then continued to decline until the end of the 70s...

Reply to
Adrian

I'll bet there will be BS or similar specs for chrome plating and you'd need to specify which one you want. Penny pinching on the materials seems endemic these days - all many seem to do is something that will last a reasonable warranty period like a year or so. And of course few modern cars have any chrome plated steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quality control was bad in the 60s, tailed off in the early 70s and the less said about the late 70s the better.

Reply to
SteveH

Just a thought - customised motorbikes seem to use a lot of chrome. It might be worth asking the same question in a motorcycles NG.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Or uk.d-i-y - lots of fonts of knowledge on all things there. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Derby Plating (01332 382408) have an excellent reputation, but aren't cheap. A friend whose judgment I trust has used them for many years, and has put a lot of Rolls-Royce and Bentley stuff their way - his own and for other people.

I've also seen recommendations for Standard Chrome of Coventry (024 7668

3624), but don't know anyone personally who has used them.

I'm sure everyone will be interested to hear who you choose, how big a mortgage you need, and what sort of job you get. With a 10-year follow-up.

Reply to
Autolycus

I had my wheelnuts replated at Nuneaton Fine Finishing, pretty good job done and there's no real problems with them now after a couple of years.

The only niggle I had was that when they'd cleaned off the burrs on the nuts I supplied, it was quite difficult to find a decent socket that would fit properly, so I ended up with a slightly larger socket with some insulation tape inside it - this has the added effect that the surface that contacts the newly-chromed nut is relatively soft.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Edwards

We use ACF Howell in Walsall and been happy with the results and service. Their number is 01922 649992 . In fact, our postie, who is a classic bike collector also uses them. I can't remember who I originally got the recommendation from but I did a fair bit of research at the time and they came out best. _____________________________________________________ Simon Denman Classic Motoring - Jaguar E-Type Convertible Classic Car Hire Web:

01452 864050

Reply to
swdenman

Surely an edge drive - Metrinch or similar - would get round that problem?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is another factor in this, the size of the piece to be re chromed.

Some shops only have small baths and do small jobs. (like bike bits)

What you may have to ask if they can do a bar or what ever. Gee its expensive now to get a job done proper.

I do know a good place that's recommended to send stuff, all the vintage blokes send it to, for an excellent job.

rm

rm

Reply to
Rob

Thanks, Rob. Fortunately the bits are quite small - four quarter bumpers and four overriders. Possibly the bar across the grille, but I think it's made of Mazak (or marzipan) which means it's unlikely to last, however well it's replated. That part is still obtainable, though, so I'll probably treat it as a "consumable" and resign myself to replacing it every couple of years.

Regarding cost - I know it's not going to be cheap, but I'd rather spend top dollar now and expect it to last for at least ten years than have a cheap job that has to be re-done every three years or so. It's a car I intend to keep until I start pushing up daisies - had it 33 years now, and see no reason to change it - so I'm looking for a really decent long-term solution rather than a tart-it-up-to-flog-it job.

I'm getting down to a short list of companies to contact, but would be interested to have details of the one you are keen on. Even more interested if it turns out to be one that others have recommended!

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Hi Geoff, give Neil Martin a ring at Brighthouse Metal Finishers (Formally S.B.Products Metal Finishers) in Peterborough, Tel: 01733.266138.

He should be able to help. Give him my regards if you contact him.

Reply to
Classic-Car-World Ltd

They did some motor bike bits for me about three years ago. Not very cheap, not very quick, but good.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson