Recommended lubricant for accelerator cable?

Brand new accelerator cable(bought from a bike shop), on a '79 Spitfire, Weber carb.

After doing away with the old ZS carb linkage retrofitted on the Weber, I had to get a new cable. But, as being a new cable, it sticks. WHat's the best way to lube it?

Was advised against wd-40. Have graphite. Weather's been bad so I haven' t had a chance to apply it yet.

Reply to
S1500

Bike cables - unless teflon lined - are normally oiled using 3-in-1 or similar oils, or "normal" engine oil.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

You should have bought one with a teflon liner.

Besides that I usually lube them with Never Seize grease which is a graphite/copper base.

Reply to
Rob

Greaseis OK for a clutch cable , but is too heavy for a throttle cable, and WD40 is too light , it rinses off at the first drop of rain ( on bikes anyway ) Something with a viscosity rating somewhere inbetween should do , motor oil being an obvious choice. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver