Removing indentation from leather steering wheel rim.

Threaded View
Have just acquired a 30 year old Capri steering wheel with a leather
rim. Condition as new apart from one small indentation across the rim
where it appears to have been stored against an object like the edge of
a box.

Is there any way to persuade this slight depression to come out? The
leather is not marked in any way, just lightly indented.

Phil

Re: Removing indentation from leather steering wheel rim.
with a rant as follows

Just use it.

Leather? 30 yr old?

What Capri is that out of then?

Did the JPS have a leather wheel? I can't think of any Mk2's that'd have a
leather one.

Plastic, yes...

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E
Re: Removing indentation from leather steering wheel rim.

It's actually from an early Mk2 Ghia, but essentially the same wheel as
the Mk1 facelift, which is what I have. Just needs the front panel
changing over.

I don't know about Mk2's, but I don't think any Mk1's came with a
leather wheel as standard. The sales brochures all refer to a "leather
effect wheel" in specifications for the GT and GXL models.

They were available as an optional extra though. My parts manual lists
wheels with plastic, rubber, leather effect or leather rims for both pre
and facelift cars.

This is actually the second leather wheel I've got. The other one is
slightly scuffed around the rim, and the stitching is worn. I also have
a leather effect wheel. Only one car though :(

Phil

Re: Removing indentation from leather steering wheel rim.

They usually restore themselves in time - its not worth getting them
recovered.  You could use some leather dressing so it softens and
releases the indent.

Re: Removing indentation from leather steering wheel rim.

I don't intend getting it recovered. I've yet to see a recovered wheel
that manages to replicate the factory pattern stitching.

I've tried some leather treatment, and I have to say it already looks
slightly less obvious. I suspect given regular treatment and use it will
resolve itself in time.

Thanks,

Phil

Site Timeline