removing Wing mirror on Morris Traveller

I thought it was just a case of unscrewing the fixing nut underneath the wing - this mirror has some sort of plastic tubing projecting down from the nut, which doesn't seem to move. The nut won't unscrew because of this tubing, and the mirror arm is sprung to the mount, so any force on that just "unsprings" it. can any one help me on how to remove this mirror from this very meagre description?

thanks

Reply to
Gordon

As far as I recall the tubing on such mirrors was there to protect the spring, when new it would have been relatively easy to remove. It is most likely rusted solid to the spring. If you can't slide it off what you need to do is use an appropriate tool, perhaps side-cutters to remove it, a spot of WD40 or similar and the nut should come off.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

"Richard H Huelin" wrote in message news:44c0c583$0$5229$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

A grinder saw the bastard off!

Reply to
Gordon

I know exactly what you mean. I've had the same problem. More than once. :-) The plastic 'sleeve' should come off quite easily. It's only there to protect the exposed part of the thread, and the spring. Just wiggle it around until it's free. Undoing the nut might not be so easy. You could try holding the miirror firmly in it's 'socket' whilst you attempt to undo it. If that doesn't work you might have to grip the base mounting of the mirror with a Mole grip, water pump pliers etc. If you protect the jaws with leather or even strips of ally about 1mm thick you may get away without causing any damage to the chrome. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The sprung part sits in a square, so pressing down on it as well as holding it should prevent rotation, but if the nut is badly corroded this probably won't work. But give the nut a good soaking in penetrating fluid first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If this is a Desmo mirror, the mirror arm can be lifted against the spring pressure, and you will find flats underneath that you can put an open ended spanner on.

The plastic tubing is only waterproofing for the spring, and it would slide off if it was new and flexible, but I bet by now it is rigid and fixed. Try softening it with a hair dryer or (very carefully!!) with a hot air gun and see if you can wiggle it off. Otherwise, with someone holding the mount with a spanner on top of the wing, see if you can force it loose by undoing the nut underneath.

If all else fails, you can cut it off, and make a replacement from a piece of plastic tube of the right diameter. Fill the open end with Hot Melt glue and clamp it shut with a Mole Wrench until it is cold and set.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren