Renown

Hi

Anyone got experience or know-how on restoration / assessment of the post-war Triumph Renown (Razoredge)? What to look for, particular problems etc. I imagine bodywork is more critical than the chassis.

Thanks for any advice

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Isn't it coachbuilt - ie a wooden frame?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Even more critical then....

Reply to
Jerry.

Andy

I'm no expert on the Renown but have restored a 1800TR which is basically the same car. Chassis isn't usually a problem - proverbial brick **** although they do flex quite a lot so check the condition of the bracing sections which run along the bottom of the main tubes from forward of the bulkhead to the B-post, also the front & rear jacking points.

Bodies are virtually all aluminium so not usually a problem, wings are steel so check carefully.

Ash frame is the fly in the ointment, extensive rot will make restoration very costly. Check particularly sill areas behind aluminium cladding together with A and B posts. Rare to find one without some rot. Also door frames and window frames - anywhere water can get at the timber. Only consolation is that timber frame isn't structural on these cars so a little rot won't cause MOT failure (but might cause doors to fall off). It is very difficult to get at the frame to check for rot so open the doors and check for flexing when yanked, also look at door gaps/fit.

Mechanically all post 1949 models are based on Vanguard engine/box so no problems with reliability or spares, parts for early 1800 models are scarce. Suspension and steering based on pre-war Standars 14 and not really up to the job, expect wear in kingpins and other steering components, parts available - at a price!

If interior trim is bad then you have a lot of wood and leather to replace - expensive.

I understand the owners club is very useful - check them out. Good Luck Gaspode

Reply to
gaspode

Thanks. Are you really Rincewind's dog? :-D

I found an original workshop manual and can see nothing scary in that (except the picture of Mr A.S. Dick, pipe in mouth, Managing Director of The Standard Motor Co. Ltd.). There are even dimensioned chassis drawings of several versions, including the Renown. There is precious little on the body though.

It's really the body & frame that bother me - I haven't got a Renown yet, just studying the project a bit first. Is frame replacement/repair out of the question? Father-in-law is a retired joiner so I might be able to get some repairs done - but you imply that getting to the timber parts is complicated. Do you know how the panels are attached? What would be involved in changing a rotten door pillar (for example) or splicing in a new piece?

Anyway thanks for your advice so far.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Andy

Rincewind's dog - scruffy, smelly, farts a lot, talks too much - can't think where I got that name from!

As far as timber frame repairs are concerned, again I can't be precise on the Renown, my experience is with the roadster but as far as I am aware they share similarly constructed bodies. I have replaced some of my timber framing and it certainly can be done, especially if you have a talent in the woodwork department (which I haven't). To access the frame you need to remove the aluminiun (duralumin actually - same as Land Rovers) skin which is nailed to the timber using hundreds of small nails. The frame sections are joined at the corners using steel plates under the skin which can be a right bugger to get at, you need to bear in mind that the frames were costructed then the panelling nailed on with no thought of access for subsequent repairs. this means that to replace a small section of timber you may have to remove a large section of skin or alternatively cut sections of the skin away and get them welded back up afterwards (not something I can recommend without considerable know-how). Apart from that it ain't a problem! If you have a tame joiner then you are halfway there. The main problem with doing frame repairs on these cars would be if you had to pay someone to do the work then the project would rapidly become uneconomic in relation to the value of the car, if you can do the work yourself then this obviously isn't a problem, it simply becomes an interesting exercise.

Good luck Gaspode

restoration

Reply to
gaspode

Mmn. Thanks.

Definitely need the wife's mother in on this one (get him out of her way!)

Cheers

Andy

Reply to
Andy