Rover 75 Tourer

That's possibly because you were asking me, not him. Anyway, I think you're being ridiculous. I might as well respond by asking you if, had the deer been a "cyclist, police officer, child" and the road had been one with a pavement on both sides and numerous pedestrians, whether you think it appropriate *in all circumstances* to try to swerve to avoid said cyclist etc? In many cases you'll find the answer is no, because your first duty is to keep control of the car and minimise injury to a minimal number of people. Swerving drastically carries the possibility of ending up with your car travelling sideways, controllably down the road and onto either pavement. You appear to believe that you will never be in a position such that you know there will be no time to evaluate those risks possibly. Dream on.

Your next duty to society is to consider any passengers with you (which was the case with my father that night). At least on an empty country road at night there are no pedestrians to worry about, but if you think that swerving drastically to attempt to avoid an animal, losing control of the car and ending up upside down in a ditch in the middle of the Derbyshire countryside is a good idea, then good luck.

You live in a dreamworld if you believe that animals can't appear in front of you, almost as if by magic, at such a short distance that it's impossible to avoid them. It is prefectly possible for people on foot to do exactly that, let alone more agile cyclists - and in some cases at such a close distance that there simply isn't time to determine whether or not an evasive movement would be possible or successful, and importantly, remotely safe for any humans who happen to be in the car or in the vicinity.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

As usual, it's hard for you to follow a thread right after chucking-out time.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Not sure I agree with that. I have an '04 V70, and before it an 850, both are huge inside when in 'transit van' mode. Have you actually tried to put it into a V70 with the seats down? Once they are, along with the front passenger seat folded down and tucked under the glovebox, the flat loading area should be ample.

Not sure about the latest V70 inside, I've not tried one of them.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

Did you not bother to read the thread you were replying to? No, I guess not. Rather typical of you and your moronic assertions (see above).

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's an open forum and he chose to stick in his 2p worth. Except 2p grossly overvalues it.

So you do, but you're wrong and I'm not the one with the relative staring at a broken Rover. Deer, even in this day and age, do not appear through a trap-door in the road. Even if they did there would be a flash, a bang a peal of music and an evil chuckle as they did so. So even the gormless would know something was happening.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You *still* haven't figured it out?

Reply to
Dean Dark

I figured out you were a numpty before I read a single line of you post. Perhaps you could come back when you've calmed down and your brain cells have started to work? Say in about 35 years when your balls will also drop.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You're precious. It's drunken stupid people like you who make Usenet entertaining.

Reply to
Dean Dark

I'm with you on this one. Deer move surprisingly quickly and on an unlit road at night they can get from the pitch black section to the bit illuminated by your headlights in an incredibly short time. At least the one I saw once was far enough ahead that it had got out of the road again by the time my car got to that point, but I can confirm that they are fast and the colours blend in so they are not distinctive.

Cycles, on the other hand usually have something reflective like pedals or rear mudguard, so even someone stupid enough to ride one on an unlit road without lights can be seen from much further away, and they don't generally leap over a ditch at the side of the road to appear in front of you broadside on (though if they did, the wheel rims would be reflective). Likewise, and pedestrian who leaps in front of a moving car with its headlamps on is on a suicide mission, and from the driver's perspective, won't write the car off if hit.

This conversation has gone into the realms of fantasy with "What ifs". Anyone who has convinced themselves that they could avoid any eventuality while driving is just stoking their own ego.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Ooohh libel, that will do nicely, thanks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It certainly did with your "what ifs". Back in reality, things are different.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not libel if it's the truth. A first year law student knows that.

Reply to
Dean Dark

A first year law student knows that alleging that something is true is no defence to libel. You really are as dumb as you appear to be.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But *proving* it to be true is.

Oh, the irony.

Reply to
Dean Dark

No, not even then. In cases of criminal libel the truth will not exhonerate the libeller.

Not of course that your petty name-calling has such noble aspirations or is true or could ever be proved to be true.

There's sadly no irony to be had from trying to convey your lack of clue to the world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We're not talking about criminal libel. Do try to keep up.

About as much chance of you hitting a deer one day?

Idem.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Criminal libel is libel. If you want to confine your comment to subset of libel it is incumbent upon you to make the distinction.

Jings but you're dumb.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Where did you get your law degree? Did it come in the mail? It's a shame that your legal opinions aren't as magnificent as your opinion of your driving skills. Oh, wait - I think they are.

Cheer up, it's nearly time for you to go to the pub and get shitfaced again.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Are you hoping that if you repeat something often enough it will develop the ring of truth? Or presumably just judging others by your own stanards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The pattern of your type of posting content by time of day is very strong circumstantial evidence to support the charge. And circumstantial evidence alone can be enough to win a conviction in court, let alone here.

What a chucklehead you are. Isn't it nearly time now to get your drinking togs on?

Reply to
Dean Dark