SD1 clutch again

Does anyone know - is the clutch on a 1985 SD1 Ser 2 self aligning? If not, how can I align it without having to buy the proper tool?

Reply to
Liam Healy

Just put it together so that the clutch plate is centred on the clutch cover you should be able to see the edge at various points, it will be near enough, mind you a universal clutch aligning tool is only a 7 pound investment and worth every penny. Get the type that expands into the clutch plate and holds the plate against the cover, any good car shop will have one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you're really that tight, use a 3/8th extension bar, and wrap PVC tape round the end so it fits snugly into the flywheel and then again slightly further back to fit snugly into the clutch plate. Then assemble

By the time you've attempted to fit the gearbox and removed it 4 times because the clutch plate isn't centred, you'll wish you'd bought a clutch alignment tool.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Liam Healy" saying something like:

If you're lying on your back the following method is near impossible, but I've used it numerous times in a pit or under a ramp.

Simply stand and eyeball the spigot hole as seen through the clutch fingers. Move your head up and down and side to side. You'll spot any slight discrepancies in centering.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've done this a few times before, years ago, using a piece of round bar stock and PVC tape - when I *really* couldn't afford to buy the tool. I found that steel stock is better than an extension bar because you can then use a try square all around up against it for the fine adjustment that's difficult to do just by eye. Do that carefully, and the 'box will slide right in first time.

Unless you use my method... :-)

Reply to
Dean Dark

But once the box is back on it means it is aligned and I can sleep soundly - if it is misaligned then the only problem will be getting the spindle back in - is that right?

Reply to
Liam Healy

yes, if the box goes on without forcing, and you have got a spigot bearing in, then it is ok

mrcheerful

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful