Searching car history ???

Hi

I'm currently restoring an Armstrong Siddeley Whitley of 1952 vintage, While I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I'd like to find out a bit more of the history of the car, I know that it was sold new by Hamtune Motors in the Midlands in February 52, Question is, Where in the Midlands ? The registration letters are CNH, Does that give any clue to the area / town ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ray

"If you spend all day doing nothing, How do you know when you've finished ?"

Reply to
Ray

NH was Northampton, but according to:

the original registration records are presumed destroyed.

Northampton is derived from North Hamtune, so Hamtune Motors were probably not an amateur hot-rodding outfit.

Reply to
Autolycus

According to my info, the Northampton records are held at:

Northampton Records Office Wootton Hall Park Northampton NN4 8BQ (01604) 762129

So it might be worth a try!

Also, send £5 to the DVLA and they will send you a printout from their records. The DVLA computer system was set up in 1974, but you'll also get a print of the original RF60 if it was kept on file.

"If you are the current keeper you can get information about any earlier keepers on application. You should write to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ quoting the registration number of the vehicle and giving the reasons for your request. A fee of £5 is payable."

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen Beetle 1300 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

You could also try the Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club

Even if they can't tell you much they would be interested to know that the car still exists, and they are also a source of spares and know-how.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Hi,

Thank you to everyone who replied, I can now narrow my search a little bit. :-) The car's not registered with the DVLA yet, I'm still going through the process, I have joined the A/S owners club and have some late history from 1994, Still a lot of gaps to fill in though.

For anyone who's interested, The restoration's coming along well, Chassis, Steering, Suspension, Brakes, Exhaust and floorpan are all done, The bodyworks coming along nicely and should be ready for spraying within a couple of weeks. Engine and preselector are in good order but the carb's worn, At present, it's being rebuilt by Gower & Lee and should be back in a couple of weeks, With a bit of luck and the fine weather holding out, She could be back on the road within a few months now :-)

Regards Ray

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:44d74f80$0$24751$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...

Reply to
Ray

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ray" saying something like:

I had an AS Star Sapphire limo for a while. Lovely old bus but nearly bankrupted me in fuel costs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hi Dave,

I'll have to face that when the old bus is back on the road again, As long as there's enough left in the kitty to buy a tankfull that is, By the time I'm finished it will probably be a fiver a litre !!! I'm hoping that a newly restored carb will help with the consumption.

Regards Ray

'I started with nothing and worked my way up to an extreme state of poverty

Reply to
Ray

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ray" saying something like:

Did you need wings? I couldn't find any at the time and that was yonks back. Annoyingly, I found another Sapphire(with good wings) mouldering in a back street and was about to collar it for spares when it got lifted by the scrappy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hi Dave,

Apart from a few minor 'moth holes' that have been leaded, the wings are in pretty decent shape considering their age, They knew how to build things then, Real steel, Not pressed tin. I have considered buying another Whitley for spares. Somehow, I dont think that SWMBO would stand for that though :-(

Regards Ray

Snipers !!!!!! They couldn't hit an elephant at this ra...........................

Reply to
Ray