seized axle plug

Hi, I want to top the the oil up in a rear axle, as previously it was leaking, but the filler plug is seized. Someone has tried to remove it before slightly rounding the nut so that now a socket will not fit. I have brought some stillsons, but has anyone got any tips to make it easier to get off without damaging the plug, for example would heating the plug up first help? Thanks Shane

Reply to
shane

you could hit it with a hammer, end on to break/jar the seal. Is it a parallel thread or taper?

Reply to
Rob

If it's a brass plug, then heating it is perhaps not the best option, brass has a tendancy to melt.

The best method I can see is to file the nut down so it has two very defnite sides on it, which you can get a big spanner onto.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The first thing I would try would be to see if it's possible to 'persuade' a six wall socket onto the rounded nut, maybe after a bit of judicious filing. Then I'd try what Alex suggested and attempt to file a pair of flats. If that didn't work I would lose patience with the job and find a big nut that fits over/around the offending plug and weld it on. Well, I would if it was a steel plug anyway.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I'm not sure, I think it's probably a parallel thread, thanks for the tip, I may try that.

Reply to
shane

Thanks for the advice, there are a couple of reasonably flat sides I have tried an adjustable spanner on, but I couldn't get enough leverage without the spanner slipping, so I thought I would try some stillsons to get a good grip with, if not I'll try filing it as you suggest, and use a conventional spanner or socket. Thanks Shane

Reply to
shane

The best tool to remove it is a socket. Go and buy one - a six-sided "flank drive" socket, preferably from Snap-on. These put their force into the middle of the sides, not on the corners, so they're less affected by rounded corners and they're also less likely to round the corners further.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've managed to remove it with the stillsons, I used a technique I've used in the past to get extra leverage. When the stillsons were in place on the nut I put a jack under the end of the handle, and jacked it up putting a lot of force on the nut. Not always possible as it obviously depends where the wrench/spanner is positioned, but it worked this time. Thanks Shane

Reply to
shane