Selling reg. no - yes or no?

Hi all, A friend has a classic car which he's been using daily but is now really in need of a resto, which he can't afford. For the last month, it's been sitting on his driveway. A passer-by saw it and wanted to buy the reg. from him and offered what my friend thought was *way* more than the car is worth. He's now in a bit of a dilemma. Does he sell the reg., thus removing a chunk of it's 'history', but use the money to restore the car which he couldn't otherwise afford to do. Or does he say No and the car rots on his drive for evermore? My two-pennorth? Take the money, otherwise the car eventually will be too far gone...to those who say 'but what about the history?', well if someone bought it who lived abroad or my friend moved abroad, it'd lose the number anyway... But what are other's thoughts/experiences?

TIA, Del

-- STOP PRESS - Microsoft buys Electrolux and finally manage to produce something that doesn't suck... To email me, you must remove YOURCLOTHES

Reply to
Del The Obscure

Del The Obscure ( snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Has it had an MOT in the last six months? If not, it's academic.

Personally, I wouldn't sell. But then, none of mine are likely to get an offer (except maybe the Solex, and that's on an import/"age-related" - but not marked as non-transferable - so no history to the plate.)

How much is matey offering? Roughly, what's the plate - obscure it a bit if you want?

Reply to
Adrian

'Twas 29 Feb 2004 21:52:38 GMT, when Adrian decided to declare:

Ah, dunno. I *think* so but I'll find out

Well, according to a magazine guide the value of the car is about £800. He's been offered £2k...the plate is: A three-letter boy's name, a single digit and a K

Del

Reply to
Del The Obscure

I agree with Del's view that it's better to have a restored car with a non-original number plate than a wreck. In addition, if the car is left untaxed for more than 6 months, the owner stands the risk that he won't be able to sell on the registration.

Olp1e

Reply to
Olp1e

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:00:40 +0000, Del The Obscure dribbled:

A name and *single* digit and only worth 800? You sure?

Reply to
Ted A Turner

'Twas Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:06:59 +0000, when Ted A Turner decided to declare:

No, the *car* is worth £800 as is . He's been offered £2k for the reg.

Del

Reply to
Del The Obscure

Del The Obscure ( snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sod that, then! SELL!

Have a look on some of the number plate sites to see what similar are going for, then push the guy upwards as far as possible - TED 4B is offered for £4k at

as an example... Madness. Sheer madness.

Reply to
Adrian

Sell the number, put the money into the resto. However, get more money for that rego!