Silly boy

Had a rear wheelarch repair panel fitted on the SD1 by a local firm at a good price and they made a good job. They removed the rear door to do it. When I got it back, the electric window didn't work, so today I decided to have a look. The silly boy had disconnected everything electrical inside the door to remove it - rather than taking the B post cover off (four self tappers) and unplugging two plugs. And hadn't a clue where it all went back so had simply dumped all the wiring and relays inside the door bottom. Just as well the window didn't work as it would have chopped the loom which was totally mis routed. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have never yet found a good quality bodywork/paint place that are capable of replacing electrics fully and properly, or in most cases even bolting everything back on!! Their painting may be great, but invariably the rest is poor.

To Dave: In your sound capabilities can you answer this one:

Three phase digital projector being fed with component from a DVD player. As soon as the video leads are connected (even just one) a mains type hum is produced from the audio of the DVD, both are fed from the same supply and earth. We suspect that there is some internal earthing fault or high frequency leak in the projector, we cannot get any voltage reading from the earth of the component leads from the projector. All other audio equipment adjacent is quiet. The suppliers are clueless.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

decided to

(four self

Ha, we've all been there. Great if you know...

Totally unacceptable, wouldn't have happened if you have asked me were to get the work done ! :~))

Oh, and it probably was 'the boy'.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I believe its called an earth loop, A combination of the earth wires , plus the screening on the video leads makes a loop circuit , this acts like like a turn on a tranformer and mains hum is induced , which you can hear . I believe if you disconnect one earth lead ( ie green and yellow in plug), the noise will go, an earth path still exists via the screening.

Reply to
R L Driver

I seem to remember I did. ;-)

However, I'm not complaining as they did a good job otherwise and at a very good price. Having seen their work I've decided to bite the bullet and have two rippled door skins replaced (been like that since I've had the car) and a complete re-spray.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Crikey - what is it?

Is this with the audio (if it has any) already connected?

The bomb proof way to get rid of earth loops is with a suitable 1:1 transformer.

For audio, I'm fairly sure Maplin sell them for in car use.

They are also available for video from the likes of Canford, but are a pretty expensive item, and you'd need three for components.

I've got an ex colleague who now installs high end home cinema stuff. I'm sure he'd be able to help. Contact me off list for his details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh yes, I remember now, but you didn't want a trip to the 'sea side' :~)

Check what they intend to leave on the car and what they will remove, you might want seals, handles, lights and the such removed that they would otherwise not do, you might then have to be prepared to obtain new clips etc. for the car to go back together correctly IYSWIM.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

unfortunately the DVD does not have an earth in its lead, the audio output of the DVD player is silent till the component video leads are connected (projector running) we have tried an isolating transformer on the audio, perhaps we can try on the video instead, one colour should be enough to test, if necessary then we can buy some more transformers. It is just so annoying, the projector was an absolute fortune, professionally aligned by the man from Belgium, great picture, yet the sound gives us grief !

It is a Barco DP100 cinema projector with the 3.5kw xenon lamp (they go to

7!!)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I spent yesterday taking off everything I could while still leaving the car legal for the drive there. I'm going to ask them if they can get the windscreen replaced too since this is a notorious leak point on the SD1. And hopefully check for rust etc on the frame.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, Missus's Fabia went in to have a rear wing dent sorted at a place that offered a decent warrenty for a decent price on the repairs.

They had to remove the door handle to match the paint across the wing/boot/door as it was Metallic.

When done, they showed me arround the slam area of the door for overspray, and the door opened fine.

Didn't use that rear door for about 8 months, it went for the next service and the note on the invoice was "rear passenger door innoperative". Don't know how they had managed to show me it work once, but after that, it won't open from either the inside or the outside, and I can't work out how you are supposed to get the door card off with out having the door open.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Outer handle inop, while child lock is preventing inner handle working? I had that on the Passat once. Lots of swearing and a flexible knife got it open in the end. I managed to wiggle the knife blade through to the child lock catch from the inside - after checking the position on the other side's door.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

That's got sod all to do with the fact that it's a metallic colour, why do people continue to think that metallic paint is some form of witch-craft ?!..

With great difficulty I expect, if not damage, but why are you suggesting that it was something the paint-shop did, although it is possible that they didn't put a clip on correctly but it's also possible that the lock, catch, handles or clip failed due to age and not the work.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It's possible, but when they phoned to say "it'll be ready in about an hour, we are just refitting the door handles then goign to give it a wash" we went down there after an hour, as you would.

Car was nowhere in site, asked if we could come back in a couple of hours.

Got another phone call that it was ready, went back, and the lad was just packing the hose away, and said, "Those door handles are a pig to fit, took me ho.." and then the boss appeared, and he shut up.

As the door failed shortly after, even if it mechanical failure due to age (in a 3 year old 35k miles car?) of parts, I imagine they might have contributed when it took so long to re-assemble.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Could well be, although the Skoda has no normal door button.

locking the rears is done by pushing the inside handle in, unlocking is done by pulling the handle. Don't even know if it has safety locks, as a child locked door could never be opened?

Will need to look into that. There isn't even a Haynes for the Fabia, so I can't even see the inner workings. Guess I will need to dig out my Skoda ETKA and see if has detailed or basic illustrations of the inner door assembly.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar