Spot welding add-on for Arc welder?

Folks,

I can't weld. But I know a man who can. And he's coming over this weekend, to shove floors/sills/lower bulkhead in the 2cv van.

Because we're putting a few new panels in, he's suggesting getting hold of a spot welder. No prob - HSS hire one, for about £50. Except whilst it likes 240v, it wants a bit more of it than is normally kicking about.

Like 32A of it. Which, going by HSS' website, means a 10kva diesel genny... No. That's OTT. Massively OTT. Silly, silly, silly.

A quick google suggests Frost do a thingy that attaches to an Arc welder.

Waste of time or worth buying?

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe check out the specs of the spot welder in more details, I have a spot welder capable of 2mm + 2mm that requires 20A IIRC and that should be fine for a 2CV from what I remember of them. That said I have the garage and its welders run from a 30A supply as would suit a cooker, so maybe look at sorting a suitable extension and fusing accordingly.

Reply to
David Billington

David Billington gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's more a case of finding anywhere that'll rent one.

...which is the other problem. If it's a decent day, we'll be working from extension leads in the drive. If it's manky, we'll be borrowing a neighbour's car port...

When I do the garage properly, there will be a bigger feed in there. But that ain't by Saturday!

Reply to
Adrian

A normal final ring is rated at 32 amp, so although it's a bodge removing a socket and wiring it in directly via well tightened 30 amp connectors will be ok - as it won't be a sustained load. If possible make that a socket as near the centre of the ring as you can.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Disconnect the cooker at the consumer unit and wire in direct.

Reply to
Peter Hill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

This is outside you house or in your garage? Easy enough to get a 32A industrial socket and wire it in to your consumer unit, so it's on the wall beneath it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Others may know different, but I've a lot of time for Frost and doubt that they'd sell anything that wasn't up to the job. If yer bloke has an arc welder and is willing to give it a try, that attachment could save a lot of time compared with drilling/punching holes then plug welding with a MIG. I wouldn't expect it to do the whole job though as there'll still be places it can't access or bits where you want a continuous weld. But the same would apply to a proper spot welder - except then there'd be even more places it couldn't access.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, we were only ever planning to use the spot for some/most of the job, with MIG for the rest.

After a sleep on it, and a bit more of a google revealing some good experiences in various forums, it's on order and the rentaspot plus genny is cancelled.

Let's see what happens this weekend...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's arrived, and it looks like a decent quality bit of kit.

Reply to
Adrian

When you get a chance to try it let us know how well it works. They've been kicking around for donkeys years, like I saw reference to them when I started welding around 1983, but have never tried one.

Reply to
David Billington

David Billington gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's going to get some reasonably serious use this weekend - lower bulkhead, floors, sills going into a 2cv van.

I can't reliably weld shit to a blanket, so a mate who can is doing it for us - I shall pass on his feedback. Unexpurgated.

Reply to
Adrian

I reckon Caruthers Carstairs-MacKracken is the longest running Troll in the history of Usenet.

Chic.

Reply to
Chic

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Results were mixed.

On some older zincy bodge repair panel that was kicking about, used as a tester, it worked an absolute treat.

On the actual car, otoh, it was less successful. It clearly needs something a bit heftier than kitkat wrapper to give of it's best.

Reply to
Adrian

I do all my spot welds with the Mig welder.

Even if you drill a hole and fill with mig onto the second panel.

Rob

Called PLUG welding, cos you fill a hole with a plug of weld.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I can do spot welds with my mig,

What I mentioned was an alternative if that facility is not available on the mig welder which would be far cheaper than hiring a spot welder.

Reply to
Rob