Stickers on speedo ilegal?

I have a car which has a Speedo that under reads i.e. at 70 it shows 50. so I have stuck stickers to the Speedo to indicate the correct speed after doing a few speed checks with another car. is this legal? someone told me its illegal...but I cant see why it should be.

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

"R P McMurphey" wrote in news:4135e1cb$0$48560$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

Just a total guess really, but I would have thought that it's perfectly legal to put a sticker on the speedo as long as it doesn't obscure speed or milage, might even be legal if it does obscure them.

What is illegal is having a speedo that read under. I'd say that your speedo is illegal but your sticker isn't.

Don't quote me on that though.

Reply to
Dave Skirrow

"R P McMurphey" wrote in news:4135e1cb$0$48560$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

Oh, sorry, re-read your post, do you mean that you have removed the original numbers and replaced them with the correct numbers?

I suppose as long as you have been accruate then thay should be ok, I'd say you have re-calibrated the speedo.

Again, don't quote me on that though!

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
Dave Skirrow

Have you put larger wheels on the car than it ws designed for without putting on lower profile tyres?

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

no the car is standard...its speedo just under reads.

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

No speedo under reads, so you've got a problem somewhere.

I once had a replacement gearbox fitted, and that had the wrong speedo sender (from a different version of the same car) and my speedo under read by about 10%.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

dont suppose you know where a speedo sender would be on a 97 sharan 1.9tdi?

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

On most modern cars, it's in one of two places. A sensor on the end of the gearbox, or it is fed off the ABS system. An increasing number of cars get the speed readings from the ABS system these days.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Wow. That's a real classic.

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

How far under is illegal? I've just been for a long drive in my wife's Toyota Previa and come to the conclusion that it reads under by about

10%. I worked this out because when I'm sat behind a truck, which of course is speed-limited to 56, the Previa reads 62, consistently. I would assume that the truck speed limiters are fairly accurate from a legal necessity.
Reply to
Chris Bolus

future classic;-)

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Well until then, news:uk.rec.cars.maintenance .....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

done that... tryed on here because of the welth of knowledge on here about the law.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Mine does, by 15%.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Yours is over reading, not under.

The reason they're not allowed to under read is that you could be exceeding the speed limit while it said you weren't. The other way round doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is an unsafe assumption to make !

Yes, from the factory, but the calibration can slip, in fact I know of a driver who (some years back) was stopped by a following Police car for exceeding the speed limit due to just such a speedometer error. Who would intentionally, and blatantly, break the speed limit whilst a Police car was following along behind....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they :::were saying :

No, it's not.

And that's why the tachograph and speed limiter on trucks are calibrated regularly, by law.

Reply to
Adrian

The blind, the stupid, the drunk, and the Chav.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes it is, you obviously know nothing (or much less than you think) about how the limiter works or dare I say how it can be overridden in many cases...

Exactly.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Or (as I said) those with a faulty speedo reading !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::