Stomberg CD175-2 carbs - off what?

I was given a nice assortment of Triumph Vitesse bits recently. In the box of carbs were a pair of CD175-2 Strombergs (usual Vitesse ones are CD150s). I'll stick them on Ebay, but it would help to know what they're off. Any ideas? They have red labels on saying "emission control systems". Does that imply US spec?

As usual, any info gratefully received.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

For the process of elimination, they're not Vauxhall Firenza / Magnum, some of which used the Stromberg 175CD carbs.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Nor SD1 or Stag. Dolomite?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rover V8? SD1's and Rangerovers have both used them, as have volvo's (mainly single though). Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Ah, Stag had been one of my first thoughts.

The next being the US spec, emissions strangled version of the TR5 - TR250?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

They'd be back to back though wouldn't they? The linkage on these as them side by side.

Good point, I've found a mention of some Volvos with twin 175s, before they started fitting fuel injection. Can't find any photos though.

Thanks everyone so far.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

No - the pic shows they'd have been fitted to an inline engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Google offers plenty of likelies which used 175CDs - US-MGB, US-TR7, Ovlovs, 2.6 Landies and more - so, depending on spec, they could be off damn near *anything*...

Reply to
Adrian

As further elimination you can discount Saab 99 and 900 as the 175 was only used in single form, the twin carb ones used 150s although using the twin carb manifold with 175's is a commom upgrade (which I guess is what could be happening here, what ever the vehicle)

Ken

Reply to
Ken

The message from Willy Eckerslyke contains these words:

Some Lotus Elans (S4 with a hump in the bonnet) and +2s used a pair of Zenith-Stromberg carbs.

According to the workshop manual these were 175 CD 2S or 2SE. The S is the non-emisson and the SE Exhaust Emission. No idea if the lack of SE in the query is significant.

Reply to
Roger

had another thought, what about vx4/90 version of vauxhall victor? I seem to remember that had the twin 175's? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

My guess: US spec, either TR7 or Jensen Healey. The clues have got to be in the linkages and fuel line arrangement.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W

Aha! You're right, the linkage is the key. It's an American spec TR5 (TR250) or TR6:

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Just an omission, though I suspect they're SE. The casting doesn't say either and the tabs are illegible. Thanks for the pointer. Lotus stuff goes for silly money on eBay so I'll do a dual listing under Lotus and Triumph...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Same engine as the Firenza / Magnum, the slant four. The fuel lines go the wrong way, and that big plate on the left of the picture isn't right.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Very early Rover v8's did indeed use twin Stromberg CD-175's, but not in that configuration, they're opposite each other on the v8. I doubt very much if they would be correctly jetted for a 3.5 v8

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I never saw a picture of them, or a post with a link, so I was simply guessing. BTW, SD1's used them right up until 1981, Rangerovers used them until the intro of EFI in the early 80's, so not just very early rover v8's. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Non EFI versions of this engine were made till about '90, and all with Strombergs. Usually found in things like ambulances.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot of the later carb versions went over to SU's though, not seen many strombergs after early 80's Dave, at least not on a landrover product. 90's and 110's went over to SU's, as did some of the last of the non-efi rangies and sd1's, the sd1's having the unreliable choke stepper-motors a-la maestro! Not convinced about sherpa's/ldv's, worked on an ambulance that had su's but never seen one with strombergs - not seen that many either way, could be the 2 I've actually seen the underbonnet of had been converrted to su's? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

The Strombergs were usually fitted to the detuned spec engines, if required for overseas work, MOD, special body builders etc etc. The MOD spec'd twin strombergs on the v8's, along with restrictor plates in the carbs, thus reducing the power output of the v8 to something dreadfull.

Alex

Reply to
Alex