stopping condensation

Hi, What is the best method of stopping condensation in a garage?. The garage gets damp in the winter, and already I have noticed a small droplet of water in the boot of my car, due to condensation. The garage has ventilation, but is there a balance between good ventilation, and too much ventilation?, ie drafts allowing damp air into the garage, especially from the bottom of the door. I have read that using small tubs of salt can reduce condensation, is this feasable?, and is it best to leave the windows of the car open, to allow air circulation. There is no electricity supply so heating isn't an option. The garage uses prefab concrete walls, and asbestos roof, with no leaks. Thanks Shane

Reply to
shane

This is by far the worst type of garage for condensation. I know, I've got one. When the weather warms up in the winter, after a cold spell, everything inside is dripping. It will help to make absolutely sure the floor is sealed against rising damp. Otherwise the best solution is to put it in a skip and build a timber or brick one.

Reply to
Les Rose

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about sealing all of the outside with clear sealer, as used on brickwork. During the really damp weather the roof gets saturated with water, and is damp on the inside. The roof is susposed to be a "substitute asbestos", so is probably not as damp proof as real asbestos. I suspect this is one of the main sources of damp. There is a waterproof membrane under the concrete floor so there should not be too much rising damp. Last winter the windows of the car were wet, and there was a thin layer of water on the painted floor. There are no fillers where the corrugated roof meets the walls to allow for venilation. Shane

Reply to
shane

snip

The worst problem is that it's impossible to stop water from penetrating through the cracks where the wall sections join the base. There are so many joints, and the whole structure is so mobile that cracks continually open up whatever you try. I don't think there's a solution for these dreadful edifices, other than a very big hammer.

Reply to
Les Rose

"shane" realised it was Mon, 03 Nov 2003

13:25:34 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Interesting webpage which discusses the subject:

Yippee

Buy a shedload of silica gel from Anchor Supplies?

Reply to
Doki

I've just found some information on silica gel, and basically it would be unsuitable for a garage, as an unfeasable amount would be required because of new cold air continualy entering the garage through natuaral ventilation. Thanks for the suggestion though. Shane

Reply to
shane

I did mean it when I said a shedload :).

Reply to
Doki

Reply to
shane

Anchor supplies do not seem to have it, but I have found another supplier. I may email them to see what they think, even if it's just to protect the boot, and interior of the car.

Reply to
shane

They had it in their Nottingham place last time I went, big tins full of sachets of the stuff, but I doubt they have it on their website.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks for the information, I might give them a ring.

Reply to
shane

shane made the world a better place for us by saying..

always worth dropping a sachet of silica gel into the headlights when storing a car (and I mean in the sachet, on a string, not pouring it in).. stops that irritating foggy headlamp look.

Reply to
Pete M

I know it may be wrong, but I'm in love with shane's mom.

SHANE......SHANE.......COME BACK!!! SHANE!!!! LOL????

Reply to
Double-You Ay Vee Why Gee

In article , shane writes

With that sort of garage you haven't a hope.

You may be able to do something useful with a suspended polythene ceiling to prevent actual drips onto the car, then concentrate on avoiding condensation on the car itself. This should be possible by placing a heater under the car to keep it a couple of degrees warmer than ambient. That should encourage the condensation to form on the garage rather than the car.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

Fortunatly it doesn't drip on to the car, but the roof does get wet right through.

When I can get an electricty supply to it I have considered using a couple of large tubular greenhouse heaters, lower power, and damp proof. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
shane