Tale of woe (long post)

The old SD1 needed some body repairs - it had failed the last MOT on a small hole in a sill and had been 'patched' merely to pass it. The bottom of the D post beside it was decidedly crusty too - but this was merely part of the rear wing skin, rather than structural. I'd collected a new rear wing skin, new sill and inner sill, and new front wing and inner wheelarch panel over the years so decided to have all that side done at once. The front wing wasn't bad, but a bit crusty at the bottom. The inner wheelarch had some repairs done by me - so best done properly as I'm hopeless at welding. Basically, that side of the car still looked pretty good at a glance - it was only if you examined it closely that you saw the problems, which would only get worse.

But there was a problem. All of the bodyshops reasonably close to here that I'd used before no longer existed. Some demolished and replaced by housing - which is happening all over London to many such small businesses. And those left where more into quick insurance repairs on newish cars - not 'restoration' work.

After lots of research, I settled on a one man band at Guildford. Nice website with lots of pics of classics he'd restored. Didn't know anyone who'd actually used him - but did find an SD1 club member who knew of him and had had decent reports.

Took the car for an estimate, and he seemed fine. Had a nice workshop out the back of his house - so not the same high overheads as a large place. No spray booth so guessed the paint might be a problem, but I was geared up to have that done elsewhere if needed.

His quote I thought very reasonable at about 1200 quid - but did know by experience it was likely to be only a rough guess as you don't know what you'll find behind the outer panels until they're removed. I'd sort of budgeted 2 grand for the whole job. Excluding panel costs, which I already had.

Work was done as arranged and on schedule. Actual cost was slightly under the estimate, which surprised me. Paid by bank transfer.

After getting the car home and having a chance to examine it properly, it was obvious things weren't great. Instead of replacing the whole rear wing skin, he'd cut it just above the wheelarch. So a join ran across the entire wing, and could be seen beneath the not too good cellulose paint finish he'd done. As can the repair to the D post. I can't for the life of me understand why he didn't just replace the majority of the panel cutting it at the E post and at the D post half way up the window as the factory recommends and shows in the BL manual - which I'd given him - and mentioned how it is normally done. That way, all the welds are concealed behind trim, and the only joint which needs to be cosmetically 'good' is the small one on the E post. But it probably can be sorted by a decent paint job.

The sill has a very obvious dent at the rear where it meets the door. Really catches your eye when you view the car from a few feet.

The major problem is the front wing. It is 5mm out at the waistline

and by a similar amount at the sill. The gap to the bonnet is approx 7.5mm instead of the original 4mm.

And to crown it all, there are lots of paint chips on surrounding panels where he's bashed them when fitting the new ones.

I've contacted him and he says it was all done to the best of his ability. No offer to rectify things.

So where to go from here?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The normal legal advice as published in Which magazine is to have an expert (however that is defined) write a report on what faults in the workmanship have been found. Then you provide a copy of that report (not the original) to the man who did the work and ask him to put it right. If he can't (or won't) do so, then you take the car somewhere else to have his faults fixed and you sue the man who did the original work for the cost of putting it right.

The cost of putting it right should be comfortably within the limit for a process through the Small Claims Court, but as a first line of enquiry I would check your car insurance to see if it includes legal aid for things other than accidents, and if it does, contact them and follow their advice.

Good luck!

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

The normal legal advice as published in Which magazine is to have an expert (however that is defined) write a report on what faults in the workmanship have been found. Then you provide a copy of that report (not the original) to the man who did the work and ask him to put it right. If he can't (or won't) do so, then you take the car somewhere else to have his faults fixed and you sue the man who did the original work for the cost of putting it right.

The cost of putting it right should be comfortably within the limit for a process through the Small Claims Court, but as a first line of enquiry I would check your car insurance to see if it includes legal aid for things other than accidents, and if it does, contact them and follow their advice.

Good luck!

Jim

Hard luck, Dave. I've had a few problems with "restoration" work over the years, and it's not only the disappointment at the job done as the buggeration factor of sorting it out. FWIW I used (on recommendation from someone I trust) a small-ish firm in Crawley when someone ran into me from behind while stationary about four years ago; they mainly seem to do straightforward work on moderns, and were honest enough to say they'd never worked on an E-Type before, but have access to a proper tin-basher who works on the principle that a panel's a panel no matter what car it's on. It didn't hurt that the guv'nor of the shop fell in love with the car in spite of it being quite a few years older then he was! I must say I was completely happy with the result, and I'm a fussy bloke when it comes to bodywork. Let me know if you'd like his number and the address.

Can't add much to the sound advice Jim gave you about the process from now on, except to mention that if you happen to belong to the RAC or presumably the AA and have signed up to their legal protection service they give free legal advice on anything. I tried them last year about a tree which I wanted to have chopped down - and believe me it's complicated - and got a very knowledgeable and helpful bloke who told me exactly what I wanted to know. As a matter of interest I asked him why he was doing this sort of work rather than work in a law practice, and he said it was because he never knew what the next telephone call would be about and it was always interesting. Clearly a man who loves his job, and prefers being like a GP to being a consultant in a hospital. BTW the RAC could presumably put you in touch with a suitable "expert" to give you a report. Any expenses incurred can be added to your claim in the Small Claims Court.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Geoff Mackenzie

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Likewise, when I bent the front of my PI on someone's tow ball I took it to a father and son business in Bath who advertise restoration work on MGBs but do take on other classics. They were not quick but they did do a nice job, though they did ask me to source a gearbox oil cooler because they couldn't trace one themselves (They hadn't heard of Earl Part, who had one). Again, if you want contact details, let me know.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

The snag with the small claims court is even if you win, the court doesn't enforce the judgement. If he refuses to pay, it's up to you to arrange (and pay) for bailiffs or whatever.

I have a neighbour who went down this route with a builder and effectively threw good money after bad. Although in this case I do know where he lives since his workshop is behind his house.

This is his website:-

Looks the business?

I spent Friday putting the trim back in - and found even more to complain about with the job. The kindest way of describing it is 'rushed'.

The poor fit between front wing and sill may be actually down to the sill being fitted wrongly. I'll have to do some measurements.

Geoff, Crawley isn't really much different to Guildford from here distance wise. I need to get some prices about sorting it before going further. I don't have bottomless pockets. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)