Tarpaulin for oldish Mazda

A neighbour has an old, but very nice Mazda sports car. (Hard top).

It doesn't now get much use, perhaps once a week or so. He runs it enough to keep the battery topped up and generally in good shape.

The question is would it help much to maintain its' good condition, if he buys one of those plastic tarpaulins to keep over it? Or are they not really worth the hassle?

Reply to
henry jackson

no it will scratch the paintwork and cause condensation , best bet is a proper car cover

Reply to
steve robinson

It will wear away the paint as it moves in the wind. Get a proper car cover.

Reply to
Huge

If you are talking about the Polypropylene type they are not even durably water proof.. I've had one on my motorbike for a while and it started to leak. It's not particularly easy to fit securely either.

Reply to
mr p

He'd be better spending a bit more money and building a carport. Probably, if done cheaply, look a bit pikey, but will be way better than a tarp or any fabric type of cover .. especially if he can fill the sides and rear in too.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I agree. Any type of cover which is in constant contact with the car will, unless very securely and tightly tied down, rub away at it with every gust of wind, and combined with time, moisture and airborne dirt could conspire to ruin the paintwork.

Reply to
A.Clews

Good car covers are expensive, cheap ones are shit. Unless he buys one of the expensive, breathable, properly lined ones, it's going to do more harm than good.

IMO, providing the car's not red, he'd be as well off giving it a bloody good claying, washing and proper waxing and just leaving it at that.

Reply to
Mike P

Heh, red, in the sun, hmmm .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Indeed. I had a shiny red Astra Mk 2, which slowly turned matt pink over the years. A friend told me that regular waxing would have prevented this, but I never could be arsed to spend hours on that sort of caper. That's why my next car was silver.

Reply to
A.Clews

Mine was a Dolomite .. ;) Only went pink on one side 'cos I always parked reversing into the drive with one side always in shade, next to the house, the other side open to the sun.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

How long before someone ran into it?

Reply to