temp gauge and compression test.

HI All, Just a couple of strange things the temp gauge on my 1970 morris oxford is showing 1/2 when i first switch on before the engine is started it then raises to hot as the car warms up but the cars not overheating i replaced the sencer for the gauge a few years ago has any one ever had a prob like this before?? i must admit i have not used the car for three week till today. My other querry is compression test i have a gunson compression tset gauge and i have tseted both my oxford and cambridge with it, the instrutions give an outline of what is a healthy engine like weather there is a large gap between cylinders tested but does anyone know what is classed as a good engine reading for the b series engine i have looked though my manuals i have and cant find anything my reads done by cranking the engine over on the starter a few times each cylinder are as follows Oxford 1 2 3 4 120psi 110 psi 115psi 115psi

Cambridge 138psi 128psi 132psi 128psi or should i just be ready for the Oxfords engine to go bang before the Cambridge. Thank you George P.S Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to everyone

Reply to
George Weatherley

This sounds like a problem with the voltage regulator rather than the temperature gauge.

You did remember to open the throttle when taking the compression readings, didn't you? The numbers for the Oxford look like the sort of readings you get when you forget, which go up to about 140 when you remember!

The only information I have on the B series if from a Haynes manual on the Riley 1.5/Wolseley 1500. This suggests 137 for a high compression engine and

127 for the low compression lump. If the Cambridge is an HC engine and the Oxford a LC one, then you don't need to worry.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

They are both L.C and no i did not open the throttle :( i am going to have a look at the temp gauge prob today and may if repeat the compression tests if time allows it still seam to me that the oxfords engine has one foot closer to the grave than the cambrige also it uses alot more oil than the cambridge. Thanks George

Reply to
George Weatherley

Bore and ring wear is the norm in an older car, at high mileages the

1500/1600/1622 B series in general used a fair bit of oil and was a bit fumey (the 1800 B series was a bit better in this respect). If the readings were taken whithout putting the throttle to the floor they don't mean much however they are more or less equal beteween the cylinders which is good news as it generally means the exhaust valves are sealing and tends to suggest no broken piston rings.
Reply to
bonzo