This DeLorean: Is this deal worth it?

Hello, perhaps some of you may offer an opinion on this deal 81 model with questionable engine for $7000+/12K miles.

Second, what else should I ask about / be concerned about on this vehicle? Here are the vehicle pictures and information:

Would I be OK if I bid under $10,000 for this car and fix it. The car only has 12K miles. Thanks.

What should I ask about on this vehicle based on what is already given? Thanks.

Reply to
Let_do_The_No

SPAM !!!

Why is this Guy asking questions about his own car?

If you read the ad, you can call a Guy called Warren , & the poster is also called Warren!!

BTW Warren, you don`t need a professional to `undust`? the car.....just a hosepipe !!! Oh, & a tap with water .

Reply to
Skivvy

I think it is quite expensive. I have one in perfect condition that I'm looking for $20K.

Reuven

Reply to
Reuven

I would give the car a very, very carefull inspection before considering a bid on it. The person posting the acution obviously knows little about the car.

------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The seller could have at least taken it outdoors and hosed it down.

Reply to
Tony P.

Use a good escrow service too.

Friend of mine bought an '85 Jaguar on Ebay. The care was in PA, he's in RI. The guy drove the car up.

Outside it looked beautiful but the guy was at least honest, the exhaust system fell off on the way up. And on opening the hood we could tell the car had been fairly well used and wasn't quite what the seller had advertised.

No problem - he comes up here quite often anyhow. So my friend gave the car back, rescinded the escrow and everyone was happy. Well, maybe not the seller.

Reply to
Tony P.

snipped-for-privacy@Lieu.org (Let_do_The_No) realised it was 5 May 2004 21:40:59

-0700 and decided it was time to write:

American poser's car, built by a coke dealer, with lots of British subsidies, in Northern Ireleand, famous only for being a low-quality, hard-to-sell dog that won't rust and starred in a series of forgettable movies as a time-machine.

Avoid like the plague, especially when the seller has no valid reason to not clean it before the sale and seemingly has to advertise it in four newsgroups by posing as a potential buyer to arouse interest in the auction.

Reply to
Yippee

I dunno - some of us make the Back to the Future link, some of us don't. However, the care does have collectible value based on a few facts.

The first is that DeLorean bucked Detroit and built his car, his way. Second is the all stainless steel body. Manufacturers could do this to cars but the problem is getting paint to adhere. Someone figured out how to do this with a type of clear coat that tinted the bright silver to the desired color. It looked very cool at the time.

And gull wing door - don't see much of those anymore.

Granted, the cars are only at their 23rd year, but in about 10-15 years it'll be a bona fide collectible. I just can't see paying $10K for it.

Reply to
Tony P.

According to him, you need a professional to do that otherwise you risk damaging the stainless steel. Completely clueless seller. I would stay away for that reason alone.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Strange, quick exposure to water damages stainless steel?

I'm confused. :-P

***************** Check Us Out *****************

We help you sell off-line as well as online.

Reply to
junkmail01

I think you're supposed to be :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Perhaps it's 'special' white dust.

J.

Reply to
John

Tony P. realised it was Thu, 06 May 2004 20:34:33 GMT and decided it was time to write:

If he'd built a good, truly revolutionary car, I could have respect for that. But he didn't. He built a compromise, and a bad one at that.

Popular misconception. It's a glassfibre body (on a mild steel chassis) with a stainless steel skin. It would have been a better car without the extra weight of that useless skin.

Painting stainless steel hasn't been a problem since the 1950's.

The bare, brushed stainless steel looked cool - that's why Delorean didn't paint it.

Very badly implemented on the Delorean, with gas struts that were much too weak to be much good on the overweight doors.

Gee, now why would that be?

In about 10-15 years time, it'll still only appeal to shallow posers who don't have the faintest idea about what makes a good sports car.

I just can't see paying anything for it.

Reply to
Yippee

And it saved the cost and aggravation of building a paint shop and getting good quality out of it. The stainless steel itself was a response to the poor surface finish from the molding process used: ERM, or Elastic Reservoir Molding, as I recall.

Reply to
Stephen H. Westin
[ DeLorean "snortscar" ]

Oh, I dunno. I wouldn't mind having one to go with my Bricklin...

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Well, if you've got you don't want.. .I'll gladly take one off your hands :-)

Deloreans are one of the coolest cars ever made. I love 'em.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Howard Rose realised it was Sat, 08 May

2004 15:51:32 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

Cool in the way an Edsel or Excalibur may be cool to some people.

I loathe them. Bad idea - badly executed.

Reply to
Yippee

Agreed. Even Saint Chapman struggled to get it to handle. Give an egomaniac drug dealer a few million pounds of taxpayers money to set up in Ireland and that's what you get. If it wasn't for "Back to the Future" this automotive abortion would have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Delorean wanted a car that didn't rust. I wasn't aware of the stainless being a response, rather, one of the few aspects of the car that wasn't compromised on.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

In message , Geoff Mackenzie writes

Why didn't it handle? I used to have an Alpine-Renault GTA with the V6 at the rear and it handled superbly, as did the later Alpine A610.

Reply to
Chris Morriss