Touch-up paint?

Problem - several small (eighth of an inch square maximum) stone chips on the front of the car. It's dark blue, primer is white/light grey, so they show up. Solution - easy - touch-up paint. The sort that comes in a small botlle with a nail varnish type brush attached to the inside of the lid. Next problem - it doesn't seem to exist any more. I've tried motor factors from Halfords to Bert around the corner, but all they can offer is aerosols. If you read the instructions on the aerosols they suggest that for small chips like I have I should spray into the lid of the can, wait for it to thicken a bit then use a Q-Tip to apply. Which seems to me like driving from London to Brighton via Alaska.

Anybody know of a source of ordinary touch-up paint? FWIW the colour I need is Jaguar Dark Blue, but if anybody can point me to a supplier of touch-up paint in general I'll worry about the exact colour match later.

TIA,

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

local halfords mix to order, exactly what you're looking for! badger

Reply to
Badger

Halfords stock touch up kits. Clear curved plastic containers with, IIRC, 3 small pots with brushes in the caps. Primer, colour, and laquer, along with a piece of emery cloth, and a small stiff bristle brush.

For small chips though, I'd go along with the suggestion to spray aerosol paint into the cap, and let it thicken before applying.

I've been doing that for years, but I use a small artists brush rather than a Q-Tip. I then wash the brush out in some cheap cellulose washing thinners, ready for the next time it's needed.

Overall it takes little longer using that method, than using the old type 'brush in the cap' touch up paints. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks - my local Halfords just looked blank, but there's a much biggerr branch not that far away, so I'll go visit.

Of couse a small brush will be bettr than a Q-Tip - why didn't I think of that...? Brain fade, I fear.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie