touch up spray gun

I did a bit of work on my VW camper to repaint a small section about

3x4 inches in the corner of a panel. I did it with an aerosol and although the finish is OK, the colour blending isn't so good as I masked it and ended up with a noticeable line between old and new paint.

I'm told I shouldn't have masked it but allowed the new paint to fade into the old paint.

I don't think I can do this with an aerosol as it's got too much of a spread and would cover a much bigger area than necessary.

I've got conventional spray equipment, though haven't used it much. I'm thinking of getting a touch up gun. Machine Mart do a Clark model and also do a professional air brush.

I've got a number of other small paint spots that need tackling, mostly one or two square inches at the most. Does anybody have any recommendations for a small spray gun?

Reply to
andyv

I'd mask to a panel edge, or a definite break line such as a moulding, but otherwise an aerosol will blend as well as a spraygun. The overspray will soon be cut away with a bit of 1200 wet or dry followed by cutting compound.

It's also getting quite difficult and expensive to buy paint in small quantities for home spraying. DEFRA are still faffing about apparently trying to decide whether cellulose can be classed as a "special finish" to avoid sellers having to be licensed to sell it (see newsletters at

).

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Try holding something like a cardboard screen to shield areas you don't want to paint, rather than masking it. Like hold the screen in one hand whilst spraying with other. That way it reduces the spread and you don't get any hard edges. For mid panel areas, make a hole in the screen and spray through that.

Badger 200. Not the most versatile of the badger range, but excellent quality and not too expensive. Ideal for touching up IMO. The problem with any spraygun for small jobs on a car, is the cost of buying a suitable paint in small quantities, plus thinners etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You can buy and air brush, which can still be adjusted, inexpensive, buy you PP can and use that paint from them in the airbrush.

The airbrush can be controlled better that a PP can.

You have to blend in the edges to avoid sharp edges. when they are blended, spray clear over the top so you can polish it, and not wreck the blended edge.

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
Charles Hamilton