Tracing a car`s history?

Is it possible to trace a car`s history when there have been at least 3 different registration numbers? If so...how?

I`ve got the chance to purchase an old 50`s sports car and it appears to have a chequered past.

There is an old number etched on the windows and the story goes that this was sold as a personalised plate.

Next there is documentation showing an A reg plate given to it which has since been up dated recently to a DVLC issued "non-transferable" age related number.

Reply to
Smithtv

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.communist (Smithtv) contains these words:

No idea how to trace a detailed history and the DVLA might have only limited information on the previous owners and even this they might be unwilling to share with you if you are not the owner.

Could well be true. Plenty of owners have been prepared to strip cars of interesting numbers (and even totally non interesting ones from pre 62) to make a quick buck. The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.communist (Smithtv) contains these words:

No idea how to trace a detailed history and the DVLA might have only limited information on the previous owners and even this they might be unwilling to share with you if you are not the owner.

Could well be true. Plenty of owners have been prepared to strip cars of interesting numbers (and even totally non interesting ones from pre 62) to make a quick buck.

I am not sure whether the url below is a red herring or not but there is a website connected to car insurance that should tell you what the number is now attached to if it has been insured in the recent past.

Again quite believable. IIRC until quite recently the DVLC was still issuing A regs as replacements to stop number changers having an unlimited supply of pre 62 numbers to sell. The non-transferable wheeze is a relatively recent innovation.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

The message from Roger Chapman contains these words:

I think that must be a red herring. I couldn't get past the front page but it seems likely that that is the one that tells which area a number is from.

I therefore didn't retain as a favourite the insurance company link so has anyone else a note of it. Mentioned some time in the last year or so I think.

Oh, and apologies for managing to post the same message twice on the same page. That was the result of a failed attempt to copy and paste the red herring url. :-(

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I'm assuming that your the car's registered keeper? If so, you can send a cheque for £5 to the DVLA and they'll send you a complete printout from their files. You'll get all the details of previous owners/reg numbers/colour changes/engine changes etc. You'll also get a copy of the pre-computerised logbook :-)

You only need tell them the current registration number as they should have the previous ones linked to your car automatically...

From the DVLA website: "If you are the current keeper you can get information about any earlier keepers on application. You should write to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ quoting the registration number of the vehicle and giving the reasons for your request. A fee of £5 is payable."

Hope this helps!

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

How far back to they have records for? I doubt they go back to the '50s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Just in case anyone else is interested , here is the direct link to the relevant DVLA page

Smithtv