Transmission noise on Triumph 2000 - Fixed

The diagnostics prize goes to Jon Tilson.

Once the car was on the hoist and lit underneath by a bright light, the shiny mark on the prop shaft was obvious. The front silencer had been rubbing on the prop shaft because the front exhaust bracket (the one that anchors the joint between the front pipe and the intermediate pipe to the rear of the gearbox) had given way. Under power the engine twists slightly on its mountings and maintains clearance. Decelerating, the engine twists slightly in the opposite direction and the clearance between exhaust and prop shaft reduces to almost nothing. Turning left while decelerating causes centrifugal force which causes the exhaust to swing outwards slightly, and just enough to cause the front silencer to rub on the prop shaft. By replacing the exhaust mounting, the problem went away.

Many thanks for all the suggestions of what to look for. It has been an education

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

This is very good news. Although I haven't been able to contribute to this thread (the grinding noise on my Triumph 2000 was a worn UJ but you'd discounted that early on) I was following it with interest.

It's amazing what you can do when you have the right equipment!

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

Whahay...its good to know the time I spend on here is sometimes put to good use.... When all else fails, including the obvious...think laterally. I'll now spend the rest of the day feeling a smug git...:-)

Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

Well, I hope you ask his permission first???...... :)

Reply to
Neil

There is an interesting aside to this problem. Under normal circumstances, an exhaust rusts into holes and is replaced every few years, and when it is replaced it is normal to use new clamps and hangers.

I fitted my Triumph with a stainless steel exhaust about 10 years ago. The exhaust has lasted, but the clamps are not stainless and had rusted away. Something for those with stainless steel exhausts to keep an eye on.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I have the same problem with my Scimitar - the mild steel U-bolt clamps on the front downpipes only last a couple of years before they rust through and start to rattle in a most uninspiring way.

The exhaust itself is stainless, at least 10 years old [it was on the car when I got it] and has done 120,000 miles in my ownership.

Does anyone know of a source of stainless-steel U-bolt clamps at *sensible* prices?

Reply to
PJML