Transporting a non-roller?

Anybody know of any companies that will transport a car even though it won't roll?

I have a Stag that I need to move from Devon to Surrey. However, the car has been off the road for a couple of years (unloved and unwanted), and as a result the gearbox is now well and truly seized.

Alternatively, anybody know a quick and easy way to unsieze the gearbox???

Reply to
o'Really

How long would it take you to remove the propshaft?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

More likely the rear brakes are stuck on.

Reply to
Domminic Hyde

In article , o'Really

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll agree with that. Much depends on how accessible the car is, and whether you want it putting somewhere difficult at your end, but I'd consider dragging a car like that onto the trailer, using plenty of washing-up liquid to ease it on its way. More difficult if it's seized at the front as well, but by no means impossible. Unfortunately there's be a lot of dead mileage for me, so I couldn't give you a good price unless I could combine it with another job- sorry about that. I _may_ have a lorry to collect from Surrey a few weeks time - I'll know more after the weekend.

I ought to splash out on a set of wheel skates - or get welding.

Reply to
Autolycus

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:53:42 +0000, o'Really

Try having a word with one of those guys lifting untaxed cars off the street - you know, the lifts with a strap at each wheel. They might be able to help you for pound notes on a weekend off....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:53:42 +0000, o'Really

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, then you could grass them up to the Inland Revenue shortly afterwards, thus getting your car moved AND your own back, in one go.

Reply to
Mike

VERY unlikely that gearbox is seized...how did th PO get it to where it is with that problem? more likely in gear, and clutch seized, or brakes seized...often, just dragging up the road unfrees things...

Reply to
Neil

As you say, it is actually the clutch that has seized and locked the car into gear. Don't know whether the brakes have done something simlar, but I would guess that the odds are high. All this is a result of it sitting unused and outside for 18 months.

Reply to
o'Really

Usually you can free off the brakes by hammering round the inner of the rim with a small lump hammer.

Reply to
Conor Turton

In article , o'Really simlar, but I would guess that the odds are high. All this is a result

The clutch seizing doesn't lock the car in gear. Unless the brakes and engine are also seized, and are putting a fair old load on the synchromesh hub.

I'd try a spanner - or more likely breaker bar - on the crank pullet bolt and try rocking the engine. If it moves, then you'll get it out of gear easily. The brakes - check the handbrake levers in the drums have slackened off, and tap them with a hammer if they haven't. Then a few whacks with a mallet on the drum should clear things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:53:42 +0000, o'Really

Just a quick update -

I had the car transported today by Smart Transportation

It turned out to be a real pig of a job to get the car out of the garage and onto their truck, but the guy just got on with it ... totally professional and I certainly couldn't have asked for anything more.

[/insert the usual caveat about my not having any connection with the company]

So, big recommendations from me for Smart Transportation (good price too, btw).

Reply to
o'Really