Transporting a rolling chassis

Can anyone think of a reasonably affordable way of getting a Herald rolling chassis from Glasgow to Bournemouth? By "reasonably affordable" I mean "cheaper than a car transport company" or possibly "a cheap car transport company" ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian

That's best part of 1000 mile round trip, I was thinking of offering but £150 in fuel, 2 days at £150 & £50 for a room soon adds up.

Alan...

Reply to
Alan Smith

Cheapest way is going to be on a trailer, but it's a bloody long way and I wouldn't want to drive it. And it's still not going to be cheap, even though it could be towed by a relatively small car. The fuel cost alone is going to be over £100 for a 900 mile round trip, plus the inevitable accommodation needed.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I think the herald chassis is narrow enough to fit into a pantechnicon though you could prove this for certain with a tape measure.

Ring round the furniture removals firms in Bournemouth and see if they are interested in taking your Herald back as a return load if they are ever moving someone to the Glasgow area and would be driving back empty.

If that draws a blank, you could try asking the Glasgow removals firms if any trips to fetch furniture from Bournemouth are coming up and would they like to discuss an outgoing load. This is less likely, but some people choose a removals firm from their destination rather than where they start from.

It must be worth a few phone calls - because if successful, you would be saving the cost of the return journey.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Although technically it wouldn't be legal, I'd have thought you could get away with using an A-frame. Not one for a wet day though.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Jim Warren (Jim Warren ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'd have thought they'd run a mile from the thought of lobbing a rolling chassis in - for fear of getting the wagon mucky inside. Would you want your furniture transported in a truck with oil stains on the floor?

Reply to
Adrian

Obviously not - but I did think that when the arrangements were made, sensible precautions like a tarpaulin on the floor would be part of the deal.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Jim Warren (Jim Warren ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Of course. But it's the first thing that's going to go through the person on the end of the phone's head - and they'll veto it straight off.

Reply to
Adrian

You might be right, but I still think it is worth a few phone calls. The big firms like Pickfords probably wouldn't touch it, but the small independents might be tempted.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

It's completely restored and quite devoid of any oiliness or greasiness save where it should be - inside stuff that turns. I'll make a few enquiries ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian