Traveller transmission problems

The saga continues ...

This is a Traveller that has not run for almost eight years. When first moved, last week, the clutch would not disengage - the car would lurch forward if the starter was spun, with a foot on the clutch. Now, with the engine finally running, the clutch will not engage, i.e. the engine runs happily whether the car is in or out of gear, irrespective of whether or not the clutch is engaged or disengaged :-(

Something is either stuck, or broken - hopefully, just stuck. Ideas on what to try first?

Thanks!

Reply to
News

The clutch has "grown on" which often happens when a vehicle is let unused for a lengthy period of time. It will often be freed by putting in first gear handbrake off and plenty of room!! Start engine and lurch off down the open space with foot on clutch and jerk the throttle on and off and with a bit of luck it will eventually free off. If after repeated attempts it doesn't free I'm afraid it's gearbox out but I've only had to do this once in 40 long years!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Sorry, reread your post :-( Seems you must have a problem with the clutch plate or the release mechanism ie seized. Better take a look underneath and see if the release lever moves when someone puts their foot on the clutch (on and off) if it moves ok the clutch centre plate has probably had the middle section become detached

Dave

Reply to
Dave

So we know about "then", and we know about "now". Any hints about the bit between? What did you do to free off the clutch?

So the engine's running, you stick it into gear - any crunches, changes in note, whirring noises? same in all gears? and the car doesn't move. Is the prop shaft turning? If so, has a half shaft broken perhaps? Does the clutch pedal feel normal? Do you know why the car was laid up eight years ago? Because of a major transmission problem?

As soon as you're sure it's not a half shaft or diff problem, it's all a bit academic, since it's engine out time anyway.

Reply to
Autolycus

In message , Autolycus writes

Nothing deliberate, but the car has been moved a fair bit, on and off trailer etc. over the last week. 500 miles up hill and down dale etc.

Exactly so. No crunches, no noticeable change in engine speed.

No, prop shaft doesn't move, so problem is at gearbox end.

It doesn't feel as though it does much at all, although the mechanism moves as it should,

Change of circumstances. It was running perfectly normally when parked in my Mum's garage, November 1998.

Indeed :-( Or possibly 'just' drop the gearbox, if I can somehow get it up on ramps?

Reply to
News

In message , Dave writes

Yes, the lever moves. Sounds like gearbox off time :-(

Reply to
News

Simple enough. Jack it up and slide the ramps under the front wheels. Better still if you have them, is to use axle stands. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G