Triumph GT6 engine bodge

I've started looking into the history of my (well dads) old GT6. I managed to track down the previous owner who sold it to my dad over 20 years ago.

He told me a story about how he left it out one night without antifreeze and the block cracked.

He ended up buying a new old stock block but was told it was for a 1971 car and the part number for that block was different to the late 72 car with the domed pistons.

The car runs OK but spins over on the starter very quickly and doesn't appear to have much power.

The question is whether the engine is bodged or not.

Jan

Reply to
Janet Collins

In article , Janet Collins writes

The BL parts catalogue for the Mk3 GT6 only lists one "short engine", but does distinguish between pre-KE10000 and post KE10001 pistons.

The differences between early and late Mk3 engines are in the pistons, cylinder head, camshaft, valves, fan, breather system, and carbs. There are no changes to the block.

Quite possibly, but not through having the wrong block.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

Thanks, you've put my mind at rest. I'm going to see how the car runs once it's back on the road again before I start messing.

Reply to
Janet Collins

Even if the block did have a different part number, it doesn't mean it can't be used with the majority of parts from an earlier - or later - engine. Could be things like, say, a different fitting for the waterpump, or mechanical take off for a rev-counter. (Just *possible* examples) Doesn't mean it's radically different like stronger etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

Late model Spitfires had a block that needed a head-gasket with a 'lipped' seal around each cylinder (AFAIK). Did the six-cylinder engine on the later cars also require a different gasket?

Reply to
Chris Morriss

I got caught out with that one too! To say the air was blue must be the understatement of the century!

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes - late 6 cylinder blocks are "recessed" can't remember the transition but you do need to check - they are not interchangeable!

In article , J writes

Indeed they do, though it's so long since I did my GT6 that I can't remember which type it is. Certainly the 2500S has the recess. Having checked the parts catalogue again I note it does list different head gaskets for KE10001 on, so probably that's the change point.

I would assume, knowing how BL worked, that the short engine doesn't change because the later block is fully compatible with the earlier head and pistons, providing the right gasket is used. Thus if you had a pre-KE10000 GT6 in the mid '70s and managed to crack the block, the dealer repair option would be a post-KE10001 block, probably retaining your existing pistons and head.

Reply to
Robert Pearce